New IT forum
10 August 2022, 11:07:18 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: MiraBox now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: basic questions sheevaplug/linux  (Read 6462 times)

busch!

basic questions sheevaplug/linux
« on: 16 December 2009, 10:00:03 pm »

Hi,

I´am new to linux, would like to start it with the Sheevaplug and have some basic questions about it.

As it is linux that runs on the Sheevaplug it should be no problem to set up network-services like tacacs+, ntp-/dhcp-/logging-/snmp-server right?

Pls. don´t bash me for this question, but would you reccommend ubuntu or debian for a beginner or is this just a matter of taste?

Accessing the Sheevaplug remotely via www/port80, and than surf the internet from the Sheevaplug - is there an application which can handle this (like squid)??

Thanks for any advice :-)

NewIT_Marcus

Re: basic questions sheevaplug/linux
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2009, 11:31:55 pm »

Here's an Ubuntu package list that we prepared a couple of months ago: http://www.newit.co.uk/documents/package_list_2009-09-27.txt

All of those packages can be installed by typing apt-get install package-name - but you'll still need to identify the packages that you want, and - to some extent - how to use them. The Ubuntu help pages will help with that.

For a beginner, on a desktop PC, I'd recommend Ubuntu. On the SheevaPlug, without a desktop, I'm not so sure. Since Ubuntu is based on debian, command line stuff will be similar, but the (lack of) long term support with Ubuntu counts against it. Unfortunately, putting debian onto the plug isn't a point & click process, so if you think debian is the way to go, you immediately find yourself with a hurdle.

Squid is one of the packages available in the Ubuntu repository.

So there are some answers to your questions. My advice is to start playing; try to bear in mind the possibility that you might be choosing to wipe your system at some point in the future (in order to put on debian in place of Ubuntu), so keep notes and / or back up parts of your system along the way (ie configuration files, especially if you spend hours preparing them.

webmin might be helpful to you too, since it presents an interface that is much more user-friendly than the command line.
Pages: [1]