New IT forum
27 June 2022, 04:55:26 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: PiHub now in stock.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Poor connection of euro cable  (Read 34101 times)

tummen

Poor connection of euro cable
« on: 27 April 2011, 05:52:21 pm »

I have reeboots if i touch the connection between the cable and the dreamplug when using the euro version. it seems to not be fixated very good in the replacable slide in thing.
Anyone else have this problem?

NewIT_Marcus

Re: Poor connection of euro cable
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2011, 07:00:58 pm »

I had problems when I thought I had fitted it all together correctly and was using a Sheevaplug cable to the PSU slider. The power light would flash on for a moment, and I wiggled the cables around, and sometimes the light would come on again, but mostly just for a moment.

Eventually I switched the cable for the one that was supplied with the Dreamplug, and it's been perfect ever since.

Moral: Use the correct parts, and double-check every connection.

Which are the parts that you think have the problematic connection?

tummen

« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2011, 09:34:36 am »

I will go home and try once more to exactly find out what connection is problematic but i use the supplied euro version of 5+6. will also try 4 to se if i get the same results

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2011, 06:33:29 pm »

This was also common for the guruplug, the trick is to:-
Attach the mains lead to the power adapter slider with it detached from the (guru)plug so that you can push it in really hard against a table top.
Presumably this will also work with the dreamplug.
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

tummen

« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2011, 07:09:54 pm »

Checked now and i pushed until i hit the bottom i can hear it but if i move the cord 4 side to side and holding 5 firmly i get powerloss in one direction.

NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2011, 09:06:41 pm »

Checked now and i pushed until i hit the bottom i can hear it but if i move the cord 4 side to side and holding 5 firmly i get powerloss in one direction.

I'm not sure that I understand your description. If you've identified a part that you think it causing the problem - or a pair of parts - please contact Jason and we'll do what we can in terms of replacements.

tummen

« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2011, 09:49:10 pm »

connection between part 4 and 5. cant say what half of it is bad.

NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2011, 09:26:12 am »

4 doesn't connect to 5.

In my situation, I managed to trigger the problems again. In my case, the problematic connection is between 5 and 6. If I push the lead fully home, into 5, it seems to be OK. It just seems that it needs to be more thoroughly pushed home than most connections of this type.

tummen

« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2011, 12:05:05 pm »

You are correct it is 5 and 6 but i cant push it in more i hear the cable touch the bottom when i push it in.

NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2011, 12:08:43 pm »

You are correct it is 5 and 6 but i cant push it in more i hear the cable touch the bottom when i push it in.

And it's still unreliable? Please contact Jason and he will arrange for replacements.

Wally79

« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2011, 05:44:35 am »

Same problem with part #5.

My quick fix: detached the psu/dreamplug and laid a book on the psu part so it can't wobble and accidentally cut off power.

MessedUpHare

« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2011, 10:25:00 am »

I've also had the same issue with the figure-8 (part 5).
For the moment, I'm using the uk-plug (part 4) connector instead.

If I get round to it, i'll try and stick something to part 5 to make the connection better.

Number_Six

« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2011, 06:08:27 am »

Same problem here with parts 5 & 6.

I received my DreamPlug yesterday and connected the PSU using parts 5 & 6 and I too have this problem where the plug will reboot if the plug is moved and seems also to happen if I gently wiggle the ethernet cable.

NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2011, 07:29:51 am »

I think that we have confirmation of this issue from Globalscale. Sounds like it is (6) that is the problem; it can be slightly loose and movement may cause disconnection. The simplest practical solution might be to pad the connector with a little masking tape on the side to prevent the movement.

If you contact Jason he can arrange for a replacement part.

According to the e-mail that I have seen, they have already made adjustments to the tooling in order to prevent the problem in the future.

Number_Six

« Reply #14 on: 04 May 2011, 04:24:54 pm »

Well, I've wrapped some electrical tape round the end of part 6 and it fits much more snuggly now into part 5 and so far seems to have stopped the random power off/on issue when the unit is handled. Now, just need to stop that blinking blue LED next!
Pages: [1] 2 3