New IT forum
10 August 2022, 10:56:45 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bricked ...  (Read 8570 times)

elyobelyob

• New IT customer
Bricked ...
« on: 29 April 2011, 09:39:07 am »

OK, so I've no experience of sheeva etc before, so will be a bit of a learn for me. However, I do build webservers fairly regularly.

I tried to upgrade ubuntu to a more recent version and this failed somewhere. It said it was returning to original state. Now the dreamplug turns on, but halts somewhere. I only have a green light and no bluetooth light. Also unable to SSH in. Perhaps SSH was disabled during this process? The lights seem to point to something else.

Just wondering what the best method of fixing this would be. I don't have a jtag module at the moment (although, guess this may be a suggestion - and if so, what do you do with a jtag?).

Should I be looking at plugging in direct via USB from another ubuntu machine? Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Only thing I gleamed from this was that upgrading to 10.10 didn't work for me :)

update : am having a read of this, and it seems to be what I need to do ... http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1977.0.html
« Last Edit: 29 April 2011, 10:11:49 am by elyobelyob »

NewIT_Marcus

Re: Bricked ...
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2011, 11:52:18 am »

• You cannot and should not even try to upgrade to a more recent Ubuntu version; 9.05 is the most recent to support the ARM processor.
  • You can connect via USB to the serial port on the Dreamplug only if you have a JTAG unit
  • The entire O/S is contained on a removable micro-SD card that can easily be removed and rewritten. If you messed up your file systems so that it cannot boot, and if you don't have a JTAG, then this is your only option ... and it's not difficult, so long as you can read and write the micro-SD card in another PC.

elyobelyob

• New IT customer
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2011, 12:12:20 pm »

• You cannot and should not even try to upgrade to a more recent Ubuntu version; 9.05 is the most recent to support the ARM processor.
  • You can connect via USB to the serial port on the Dreamplug only if you have a JTAG unit
  • The entire O/S is contained on a removable micro-SD card that can easily be removed and rewritten. If you messed up your file systems so that it cannot boot, and if you don't have a JTAG, then this is your only option ... and it's not difficult, so long as you can read and write the micro-SD card in another PC.

Woops, I suspected that but wasn't aware ...thanks for the reply. According to your description of opening a dreamplug, you say "it's a doddle", but there's no description of what to do ... I hate forcing things only to discover that there was a screw to remove :)

If you would be kind enough to explain, and then I will rewrite via micro sd ... a description of that too would be very useful! Thanks...

tummen

« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2011, 05:12:56 pm »

Welcome to the newbie club! I have had to take my sd card out now so many times that I really hate myself for saving 30£ on a jtag module but i thought that I will make no mistakes.

the plan how to do this is quite easy.
You need a philips small screwdriver a sd card reader a "sd micro holder for sd card" and a pc computer running linux or windows

the image file for restoring are found here:
http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1987.msg5538.html#msg5538

Slide the power unit of from the dreamplug.
pull the 4 small rubber feet out from the computer case. (2 different shapes remember this for refitting)
unscreew 4 screew under the feet.
now it opens very easy.
slide the holind blacket 1mm and then it swings open.

take the card out and place it in a holder
place the holder into the pc
if you have a linux computer you can now unmount the /media/something + /media/something

you have 2 partitions

umount them

use fdisk to:
delete the partitions good chanses are they where corrupt anyway
add a new primary partition 1 at sector 1 make it 25M
add a new primary partition 2 for the rest of the disk
change type of partition 1 to 6

use gdparted to format part 1 to fat and 2 to ext 2 or 3 after your own taste
(can also be done with mkdosfs -F 16  for fat and mkfs -t ext2 for the other one)

mount the drives again with mount -a

then use the link in the beginning of this text and the instruction to untar the contents into each partition.

now if you dont have a linux computer around you can do as I do.

install freeware VMWare player.

then install a ready made ubunto mashine from
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/download-ubuntu-10-04-desktop-vmware-image.html

remember to note the password for the image you pick.

then you can run a fully working linux in a window of your windows mashine (i think also mac)

after this dont bother to put the plug together with screews just slide on the power unit.
You will need to take the card out and adjust conf files many times more.
since there is no console every error with network and routing ip tables ssh conf and so on will need jtag or taking the card out.

Hope this is of some help

elyobelyob

• New IT customer
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2011, 08:34:51 pm »

Thanks, that's been really useful. I'm pretty much there, except, I am getting this ...

tar x -C /media/DREAM1/ --overwrite -zf /home/root/dreamplug/ex-factory-2011-04-24-microSD-partition1.tar.gz
tar: uimage: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted

For some reason it uses the user I am logged in as and not the terminal/sudo su user ....

Is this an issue? As I presume it is expecting root user on all files?

elyobelyob

• New IT customer
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2011, 08:48:36 pm »

Actually, ignore me. Stuck it in and it works. I don't think there is a permission on FAT?
Pages: [1]