New IT forum
13 August 2022, 01:00:42 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: MiraBox now in stock.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Backing up nand system  (Read 27313 times)

NewIT_Marcus

Re: Backing up nand system
« Reply #15 on: 24 December 2009, 02:41:29 pm »

I never managed to get the cyrius.com instructions to work. I used the "alternate" installation method described at plugcomputer.org, that is to say I built a basic file system on an SD card, then created a rootfs.tar.gz from that file system, and used that with the installer.

It is irrelevant whether the SD card that I built the file system is bootable or not. The SD card is merely temporary storage; one could use an external hdd or USB stick just as easily.

Then I used the new rootfs.tar.gz with the regular installer. (I used the same method to create a Fedora 12 system).

NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #16 on: 24 December 2009, 02:44:58 pm »

Unfortunately - unless someone can help me print out the environment variables from a running system

There is a package uboot-envtools that is supposed to allow read / write access to U-Boot variables, but it doesn't work on the Sheevaplug

truehl

« Reply #17 on: 24 December 2009, 09:40:32 pm »

Merry Christmast from germany, hello Marcus,
sorry but I've tested a litlte bit to day and I'm no step further to a solution. I think I'll go crazy about this setup. But I love your Plug and it runs so nicely as my squeezeboxserver (but right now only on an usb stick).

1. Is it right Marcus that NewIT sells a version now with a debian system on a sd card? See "Sheeva - Debian - Squeeze 4Gb SD Multi Boot" in your shop?
2. You have seen the information of my system I've posted before. I thinks its a multi-boot system with UBIFS. So my system is the same than the Sheeva - Debian - Squeeze 4Gb SD Multi Boot but without the sd-card, right?
3. Is it possible to tell me how exactly you did the setup? Alternativ: Is it possible to send an image of such a sd-card (4GB would be best for me). I use a freeware Imaging tool (http://www.alexpage.de)  that works fine for me. You able to take images from a entire sd-card to a file.
4. Or last if nothing else works could you send me such a sd-card, of course i will pay for it!!!

Christmas greetings
Thomas  
« Last Edit: 24 December 2009, 09:49:47 pm by truehl »

truehl

« Reply #18 on: 25 December 2009, 11:18:27 pm »

Hi Marcus,
don't ask me why, but i was successfull this evening. I've installed debian on an sd-card and everything works fine. I followed the documention from Martin Michlmayr and everything runs smooth. I've installed the first time a complete english version from an english debian repository. I've used german locales and repositories before.  Additionly I've usesd different versions of uInitrd and uImage (Donnerstag, 24. Dezember 2009, 14:47:22) I found somewere in the net.

O.K. Thaks a lot, I think I'm happy now. Thanks for your help!!! Great Job!!!

Greetings Thomas

NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #19 on: 27 December 2009, 04:27:19 pm »

Thomas -

Congratualtions.

When you've done it successfully once, it all seems very easy and straightforward. But until that time, I know, it all seems very confusing.

I was going to point out to you that I did refer to my successful installation process for debian in my previous post - http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=878.0 - but I am sure we are both pleased that you figured it out for yourself.

You should probably image your SD card now that you have a working config; take a look at out Booting board for the environment variables trick for multi-booting. And Slimserver is very easy to install.

There may be other users interested in your German files; we have sold a significant quantity to German users.

truehl

« Reply #20 on: 27 December 2009, 08:09:14 pm »

Hi Marcus,
thanks a lot for your help again. I think you and the people from NewIT do a great job!!! I've never seen a company in germany dealing with customers in such a professional and friedly way!!!

But now I tell you the hammer: I've testet a little bit with my "broken" plug (I thought that the sd-card reader won't work like it should). Today I was able to bring this plug back to live with the sheevaplug installer. Than I've installed debian on sd-card on this system like I did it with the replacement plug. And: It works!!! I think that all the problems came from bad installation ressources (english reesources works), an from a bad dokumentation of the sheeva plug installer. If you use the installer from windows the process is slightly different from the dokumentation.

So now it's all working fine we have to talk about what to do with the replacement you send to me. But I think we should not discuss it here in the forum. Could you send a private message to me?

Thanks,
Thomas

NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #21 on: 28 December 2009, 09:52:53 am »

Hi Marcus,
thanks a lot for your help again. I think you and the people from NewIT do a great job!!! I've never seen a company in germany dealing with customers in such a professional and friedly way!!!

But now I tell you the hammer: I've testet a little bit with my "broken" plug (I thought that the sd-card reader won't work like it should). Today I was able to bring this plug back to live with the sheevaplug installer. Than I've installed debian on sd-card on this system like I did it with the replacement plug. And: It works!!! I think that all the problems came from bad installation ressources (english reesources works), an from a bad dokumentation of the sheeva plug installer. If you use the installer from windows the process is slightly different from the dokumentation.

So now it's all working fine we have to talk about what to do with the replacement you send to me. But I think we should not discuss it here in the forum. Could you send a private message to me?

Thanks,
Thomas

Thomas -

The biggest problem with the installer is the confusing documentation. Steps are described confusingly several times, and the location of the configuration files is incorrect.

Please send an e-mail to sales (at) newit.co.uk to discuss how to proceed regarding your replacement.

raj123

« Reply #22 on: 28 December 2009, 11:23:06 am »

Hi,

I see the same issue in regards to the Installer documentation. If you have steps for Windows, can you please post it here please...

Thanks,
Raj

NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #23 on: 28 December 2009, 02:31:35 pm »

Raj -

I haven't used the installer with Windows. The correct steps are these:

* Copy initrd, modules.tar.gz, rootfs.tar.gz & uImage to the root of a USB stick
* Amend uboot/uboot-env/uboot-mmc-custom.txt (for SD card installation) or uboot/uboot-env/uboot-nand-custom.txt (for NAND installation) to include your MAC address on the ethaddr line - ie ethaddr 00:50:43:01:xx:xx. The file paths I've given are relative to the installer "root".
* under linux, sudo php runme.php mmc to install to mmc or sudo php runme.php nand to install to NAND.

For Windows, I believe you need runme.exe mmc or runme.exe nand (and because the linux version is a php script, for linux you need php5-cli).

Check the readme for when to close your serial connection (under windows).

truehl

« Reply #24 on: 28 December 2009, 07:24:08 pm »

Hi Ray.
Marcus is right. If you have still problems with the installer under windows, tell me I'll help you!!!

Greetings Thomas

raj123

« Reply #25 on: 29 December 2009, 01:22:23 pm »

Hi,

My console using the tera term works fine but when I use the installer, it complains about the console. I think I might have messed up with either with CDM or libusb drivers. But the strange thing is when I run installer it does reboot my plug but then it complains about the console.Below are the few captures from the output...

I did install libusb and ran the tests (Output below)...

Am I suppose to do anything with openecd folder?
Are there anysteps that I need to follow in regards to CDM or libusb drivers...?

Thanks,
Raj

C:\sheevaplug installer\sheevaplug-installer-v1.0>runme mmc

****   Preparing environment variables file ...
reading uboot\uboot-env\uboot-dflt.txt
uboot\uboot-env\fw_setenv.exe baudrate 115200
CRC read error on uboot-env.bin: No error
uboot\uboot-env\fw_setenv.exe loads_echo 0

--Deleted lines---

uboot\uboot-env\fw_setenv.exe recover3 usb start; fatload usb 0 0x00800000 uImag
e; fatload usb 0 0x01100000 initrd

****   Burning uboot and environment variables ... This will take few minutes .
 ****   When uboot.bin is written to NAND/SD, Disconnect and connect your mini U
SB cable
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.2.0 (2009-07-27-16:41) Release
$URL: http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/openocd/tags/openocd-0.2.0/src/openocd
.c $
For bug reports, read http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/openocd/trunk/BUGS
2000 kHz
jtag_nsrst_delay: 200
jtag_ntrst_delay: 200
dcc downloads are enabled
Error: JTAG communication failure: check connection, JTAG interface, target powe
r etc.
Error: trying to validate configured JTAG chain anyway...
Error: Could not validate JTAG scan chain, IR mismatch, scan returned 0x00. tap=
feroceon.cpu pos=0 expected 0x1 got 0
Warn : Could not validate JTAG chain, continuing anyway...
Error: unexpected Feroceon EICE version signature
Error: timed out while waiting for target halted
Runtime error, file "openocd\config\board\sheevaplug.cfg", line 21:
     ****       openocd FAILED
 ****   Is the mini USB cable connected?
 ****   Try powering down, then replugging the Sheevaplug

------------------------------------

from testlib output...

bus-0/\\.\libusb0-0009--0x9e88-0x9e8f     9E88/9E8F
- Manufacturer : FTDI
- Product      : SheevaPlug JTAGKey FT2232D B
- Serial Number: FTSD53HK
  wTotalLength:         32
  bNumInterfaces:       1
  bConfigurationValue:  1
  iConfiguration:       0
  bmAttributes:         80h
  MaxPower:             50
    bInterfaceNumber:   1
    bAlternateSetting:  0
    bNumEndpoints:      2
    bInterfaceClass:    255
    bInterfaceSubClass: 255
    bInterfaceProtocol: 255
    iInterface:         2
      bEndpointAddress: 83h
      bmAttributes:     02h
      wMaxPacketSize:   64
      bInterval:        0
      bRefresh:         0
      bSynchAddress:    0
      bEndpointAddress: 04h
      bmAttributes:     02h
      wMaxPacketSize:   64
      bInterval:        0
      bRefresh:         0
      bSynchAddress:    0

NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #26 on: 29 December 2009, 04:23:38 pm »

This is what you need to focus on:

Error: JTAG communication failure: check connection, JTAG interface, target powe
r etc.
Error: Could not validate JTAG scan chain, IR mismatch, scan returned 0x00. tap=
feroceon.cpu pos=0 expected 0x1 got 0

Runtime error, file "openocd\config\board\sheevaplug.cfg", line 21:
     ****       openocd FAILED
 ****   Is the mini USB cable connected?
 ****   Try powering down, then replugging the Sheevaplug

(The "unexpected Feroceon EICE version signature" message isn't significant at this time, and might not matter at all).

1. Your JTAG connection appears not to be working.
2. Advice is offered in the final few lines.

Try the advice. In particular, you may find that the connection can only be opened whilst U-Boot is bringing the plug up (ie within the first 5 or so seconds of the boot process).

raj123

« Reply #27 on: 30 December 2009, 05:50:07 pm »

Hi,

I tried numerous times and I see the same issue. I switched to my linux laptop (Ubuntu 9.04) and still see the same issue. I tried different cable,multiple reboots etc but no luck. On the putty, i see that it reboots..Can u please let me know if I am missing anything...

****   Burning uboot and environment variables ... This will take few minutes ...
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.2.0 (2009-07-26-14:56) Release
$URL: http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/openocd/tags/openocd-0.2.0/src/openocd.c $
For bug reports, read http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/openocd/trunk/BUGS
2000 kHz
jtag_nsrst_delay: 200
jtag_ntrst_delay: 200
dcc downloads are enabled
Error: JTAG communication failure: check connection, JTAG interface, target power etc.
Error: Could not validate JTAG scan chain, IR mismatch, scan returned 0x00. tap=feroceon.cpu pos=0 expected 0x1 got 0
Runtime error, file "openocd/config/board/sheevaplug.cfg", line 21:
     ****   openocd FAILED
 ****   Is the mini USB cable connected?
 ****   Try powering down, then replugging the Sheevaplug

NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #28 on: 31 December 2009, 10:25:14 am »

Try changing the 2000 Hz setting to 500 Hz, in installer/uboot/openocd/config/interface/sheevaplug.cfg

Since the error appears on the JTAG connection, check whether both tty ports are recognised. (You know one works, since the serial connection is apparently working).

raj123

« Reply #29 on: 31 December 2009, 08:21:00 pm »

Hi,

Intially it did not work(With the change) but after trying couple of times it worked. When I executed sheeva installer while the plug is booting, it worked (Not sure why).But anyway big Thank You from my side.

Thanks again,

Raj
Pages: 1 [2] 3