New IT forum
12 August 2022, 03:47:45 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: MiraBox now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A space saving suggestion.  (Read 3684 times)

rfrazier

• New IT customer
    • RLF
A space saving suggestion.
« on: 07 May 2011, 08:30:58 am »

The Debian distribution includes lots of things for making your computer reflect your language/keyboard/currency symbols and the like.  These are the LOCALE settings.  Although it is right and proper that a linux distribution reflect the wide variety places in which it is used, the files allowing this to happen take up quite a bit of space.  It is somewhere on the order of 100MB on a standard, minimal, installation of Debian.  There is a special utility that can be installed to get rid of the extra files.  And, this utility does a check for undeed LOCALE files after each new package is installed.  The safe way to use it is to comment out the LOCALEs in /etc/locale.gen that you don't want.  I put a "#" in front of every line except the ones starting with "en_GB", since those are the only ones I want.  Your needs/desires will vary, no doubt.  So, the relevant bit of my file looks lie this.

Code: [Select]
# en_DK ISO-8859-1
# en_DK.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15
# en_DK.UTF-8 UTF-8
 en_GB ISO-8859-1
 en_GB.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15
 en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8
# en_HK ISO-8859-1
# en_HK.UTF-8 UTF-8

After you've done that, you can install package localepurge, as root.

# apt-get install localepurge

It will ask you to configure it.  Make sure that the locales you want are checked (using the space button  to toggle).  They should be if you've edited /etc/locale.gen.  Then when all is ready, you just hit return or tab to "ok" and hit return.  It will purge all of the locales you've not told it to keep, then will automatically do so after the installation of any package which includes locale information. 

Best wishes,
Bob

jiojio74

Re: A space saving suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2011, 08:16:23 am »

Code: [Select]
localepurge
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/locale: 70248 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/man: 4284 KiB

Total disk space freed by localepurge: 74532 KiB
Good! Thanks!

piratebab

Re: A space saving suggestion.
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2011, 07:54:44 pm »

As I remember, the first time you install locale packet, it asks the locale you want to install. I just select one.
Pages: [1]