New IT forum
27 June 2022, 11:31:44 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: GertDuino now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Built in USB/Serial port at 9600 baud ?  (Read 5178 times)

wooky

Built in USB/Serial port at 9600 baud ?
« on: 23 May 2011, 10:10:04 pm »

Hi

I want to connect a piece of rather old hardware to my SheevaPlug, it has a proper RS232 port but will only run at a maximum of 9600bps.

My question is this... can the built in usb/serial port be configured to work this slowly and if so what crossover cable do I need to make ?

or if not can anyone suggest a suitable usb to serial adaptor that will work ?

Thanks
Wookie

leehanken

Re: Built in USB/Serial port at 9600 baud ?
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2012, 07:44:45 pm »

Obviously this is an old thread, but thought I'd reply in case it is useful.

I wanted to do the same thing, using a serial to usb adapter, that would be picked up by the FTDI driver in linux. I couldn't do this with an original sheevaplug dev kit with ubuntu, because it did not have the ftdi_sio kernel module, and it would not build from source, and I failed in my attempts to update the kernel.

Using the sheevaplug UBIFS kit containing debian squeeze, I was able to do this easily, simply plugging in a cheap usb to serial adapter, it was detected as /dev/ttyUSB0, and can be configured with stty or used as an additional console with getty, by modifying the inittab, and yes works at 9600 baud if specified.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2012, 08:09:09 pm by leehanken »
Pages: [1]