New IT forum
12 August 2022, 03:19:06 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My network router doesn't recognise my new Sheevaplug  (Read 6714 times)

alxlr8

My network router doesn't recognise my new Sheevaplug
« on: 20 June 2011, 08:44:43 pm »

Hi guys,

I have just started using my sheevaplug. I want to connect it to my network so I can leave it somewhere and SSH to it.

Unfortunately, although I've used the included cable and plugged it into my router (a Linksys WAG325N, by the way), the router doesn't recognise it (i.e. the light that shows activity on the router's ethernet port isn't lighting).

On the plug physically, I do see it flashing the green and yellow LED on the ethernet jack at approximately 1.5 second intervals (both together).

I am able to log in to the plug - I have a Mac with OSX 10.6.7, and everything there is working nicely through the USB serial after using this great support site to iron out some issues I had there.

I am not new to using Linux (I'm an engineer, and fearless around technology), but I am new to monkeying with Linux to get it to do stuff. So don't mince words if you think you've got a solution that might help!

So, looking at the necessary files that the great internet has told me to check reveals the following out of box configuration for the plug I bought from NEW IT:

/etc/network/interfaces contained only the following WHEN I GOT THE PLUG (but see below for what another variant I tried):
-------------
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
-------------

So, this looks to me like eth0 should be setup to acquire its IP address by DHCP. YES??? What I would like is for ANY connection to work at this stage - DHCP or statically. My router runs a DHCP server, so if I can just get the plug to work with that server (and actually make meaningful contact with the router in the first place to be able to do that), that'd be great. At the moment, though, the router isn;t even seeing it (as I said at the beginning of this post).

NEXT: /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf contains:
-------------
# Configuration file for /sbin/dhclient, which is included in Debian's
#       dhcp3-client package.
#
# This is a sample configuration file for dhclient. See dhclient.conf's
#       man page for more information about the syntax of this file
#       and a more comprehensive list of the parameters understood by
#       dhclient.
#
# Normally, if the DHCP server provides reasonable information and does
#       not leave anything out (like the domain name, for example), then
#       few changes must be made to this file, if any.
#

option rfc3442-classless-static-routes code 121 = array of unsigned integer 8;

send host-name "<hostname>";
#send dhcp-client-identifier 1:0:a0:24:ab:fb:9c;
#send dhcp-lease-time 3600;

#prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name,
        netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope, interface-mtu,
-------------

Note that I have already removed the line about "supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;", as described in links off this forum.

ALSO: looking in /etc/resolve.conf:

-------------
nameserver 127.0.0.1
-------------

Which, I believe, looks underspecified/wrong.

FINALLY: I have tried adding the following lines into the /etc/network/interfaces (and commented out the ones about DHCP, given above):

-------------
#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet static
#        address 192.168.1.106
#        netmask 255.255.255.0
#        gateway 192.168.1.1
-------------

I must explain that on my router, I currently cannot get this static config working because of the fact that the plug isn't doing what's necessary to be seen by the router(but I think if I had the "Static DNS" setup to 192.168.1.106 set up under the Network Address Settings (DHCP server) configuration of the WAG325N, this static config would work if the plug were just talking correctly; likewise would the DHCP config I gave above to get an IP address).

So (I can only apologise for this lengthy description). I have also noticed a few problems when I reboot the plug by pressing the little button with a paperclip:

--------------
<snip>
uplex, speed 100 Mbps
eth0: link down
eth0: link up, full duplex, speed 100 Mbps
<snip>
--------------

which indicates something is going wrong during the boot sequence (it keeps retrying, and somehow this fails - whatever it is doing).

I can post a full boot sequence if anyone wants to see it.... There are other failures/errors (but I get to the command prompt - nothing seems TOO broken in those messages).

I'VE ALSO DONE: dhclient eth0 (which gives):

--------------
[email protected]:~# dhclient eth0
There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 1249
killed old client process, removed PID file
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.1
Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/f0:ad:4e:00:6a:03
Sending on   LPF/eth0/f0:ad:4e:00:6a:03
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
--------------

Even though my DHCP server is up and running (and has served an IP address to this computer) on the router, I watched the light during the DHCPDISCOVER process, and did not see ANYTHING blink on the router - ever.

MY CONCLUSION: the plug is missing some vital ingredient required for the ethernet interface to work, which is possibly going wrong at boot time.

Many thanks for your patience reading this, I hope I have given enough info up front for this to help you understand the problem, and allow you to see the solution. For my part, I am continuing to research this - I haven't given up yet!

Many thanks

Alex
« Last Edit: 21 June 2011, 02:55:06 pm by alxlr8 »

NewIT_Marcus

Re: My network router doesn't recognise my new Sheevaplug
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2011, 10:35:41 pm »

The changes - if any - that you should make to the system are dependent upon exactly which Sheevaplug you purchased; the standard ex-factory model requires a few changes to get networking behaving properly; see:

http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/New_Plugger_How_To#Fixing_the_existing_Ubuntu_install

Our preconfigured multiboot plugs have these issues fixed. Either way, you should have read through this post too (and from your comments, I think that you did):

http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,44.0.html

Regardless, you do seem to have a perplexing network problem. Even if eth0 is not working, I believe that you can test the software side of networking on the loopback interface, so for instance you can try:

Code: [Select]
ssh 127.0.0.1

If this works, your networking software is likely OK, so you can return to examining eth0. If it doesn't, it suggests a fundamental software issue.

sfzhi

« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2011, 02:18:11 pm »

Unfortunately, although I've used the included cable and plugged it into my router (a Linksys WAG325N, by the way), the router doesn't recognise it (i.e. the light that shows activity on the router's ethernet port isn't lighting).

On the plug physically, I do see it flashing the green and yellow LED on the ethernet jack at approximately 1.5 second intervals (both together).
The lights at the Ethernet ports usually indicate activity on the physical layer of the network and thus are not easily influenced by software (mis)configuration. If the lights on the plug show link activity, but those on the router don't, I would suspect a problem with physical connection (defective cable, malfunctioning port on the router, or something like that).

alxlr8

« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2011, 02:43:19 pm »

The changes - if any - that you should make to the system are dependent upon exactly which Sheevaplug you purchased; the standard ex-factory model requires a few changes to get networking behaving properly; see:

http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/New_Plugger_How_To#Fixing_the_existing_Ubuntu_install

Our preconfigured multiboot plugs have these issues fixed. Either way, you should have read through this post too (and from your comments, I think that you did):

http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,44.0.html

Regardless, you do seem to have a perplexing network problem. Even if eth0 is not working, I believe that you can test the software side of networking on the loopback interface, so for instance you can try:

Code: [Select]
ssh 127.0.0.1

If this works, your networking software is likely OK, so you can return to examining eth0. If it doesn't, it suggests a fundamental software issue.

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for your reply.

The SheevaPlug I purchased was this one from your good selves  :)   :

http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=SheevaPlug

The basic dev kit (which I believe you call ex-factory).

The links you gave were part of what I have gone through meticulously (the first instructs on fixing things like DNS etc., and the second link you gave as well - effectively the "the Getting started page"). It is from there that I found the links on the issues with Mac OSx and the USB serial driver etc.

I take your point on testing via 127.0.0.1, but the development I intend to do will rely on being able to install a web server and attach it to my network (although I'll have a think about how localhost loopback can help me in the meantime).

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll keep you posted.

Alex

alxlr8

« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2011, 02:50:59 pm »

The lights at the Ethernet ports usually indicate activity on the physical layer of the network and thus are not easily influenced by software (mis)configuration. If the lights on the plug show link activity, but those on the router don't, I would suspect a problem with physical connection (defective cable, malfunctioning port on the router, or something like that).

Hi sfzhi,

Good observation r.e. physical layer activity - agreed there's little potentially that is wrong with the software.

On the physical connection side, I did several things:

a) I tried a known working device in each of the jacks on the back of the router - no problems there (access was fine, and everything lights up on both router and device)
b) I tried different cables with the Sheevaplug - no luck with about 4 cables (from the tiny included cable right up to some fairly expensive cabling)

So I'm a bit flummoxed at the moment - seems like an issue with something somewhere.... Could there be a drive strength issue from the Sheevaplug end, maybe?

Alex

alxlr8

« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2011, 05:48:18 am »

OK..... so....

Last night I had the plug attached to my Mac via USB. Giving up most of the hope I had, I unplugged that cable to plug in something else.

I came back this morning, and NOW the sheevaplug is playing ball. I suddenly noticed that the lights on the ethernet jack were a LOT more active than yesterday, and I did a dhclient eth0 just to check:

[email protected]:~# dhclient eth0
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.1
Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/f0:ad:4e:00:6a:03
Sending on   LPF/eth0/f0:ad:4e:00:6a:03
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
DHCPOFFER of 192.168.1.108 from 192.168.1.1
DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.1.108 on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK of 192.168.1.108 from 192.168.1.1
bound to 192.168.1.108 -- renewal in 39495 seconds.

I genuinely cannot explain this. Either the router suddenly woke up and heard the call of the poor sheevaplug, or there was something about being unplugged from the Macbook at the sheevaplug end, but thankfully it appears to be working now.

Totally weird!

Thanks for your eyeball time, guys. I now just need to see if taking down and bringing back the sheevaplug will continue to work....

Alex

NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2011, 06:31:20 pm »

bound to 192.168.1.108 -- renewal in 39495 seconds.

Thanks for your eyeball time, guys. I now just need to see if taking down and bringing back the sheevaplug will continue to work....

Thank you for the update.

Renewal is probably the next danger point, and by my reckoning more than 39495 seconds have passed since you posted. So the next reboot or renewal should provide another useful data point.
Pages: [1]