New IT forum
12 August 2022, 02:31:16 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: GertDuino now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: NIC Bonding on the Dreamplug  (Read 7659 times)

hmunster

NIC Bonding on the Dreamplug
« on: 05 August 2011, 08:10:07 am »

Hi,

Has anyone successfully bonded the two nics on the Dreamplug (bond=1)?  I am following the general how-to for Unbuntu with no luck so far.

TheOracle

Re: NIC Bonding on the Dreamplug
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2011, 11:20:55 am »

Hi,
what do you mean exactly with bond=1?
Do you want to bond the eth0 and eth1 interfaces to act as a bridge (brctl...) or you want to make a port trunk (failover/loadbalancing...) with those interfaces?

hmunster

« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2011, 12:12:26 pm »

Bond mode 1 defined as follows:
1 (active-backup) Active-backup policy: Only one slave in the bond is active. A different slave becomes active if, and only if, the active slave fails. The bond's MAC address is externally visible on only one port (network adapter) to avoid confusing the switch. This mode provides fault tolerance. The primary option affects the behavior of this mode.

TheOracle

« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2011, 01:20:44 pm »

What is the guide did you tried to follow?
have you tried to follow this guide http://www.linuxhorizon.ro/bonding.html ?
In this case, at which point do you get stuck?

once the basics of bonding were achieved maybe this other guide is more suitable
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-bond-or-team-multiple-network-interfaces-nic-into-single-interface.html

A more exhaustive document about this topic is at http://www.cyberciti.biz/howto/question/static/linux-ethernet-bonding-driver-howto.php

hmunster

« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2011, 02:47:39 pm »

Thanks I'll try those.  I'm currently using the guide @ https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBonding.  I find it's always encouraging to know if someone else has got something working before embarking on task possibly doomed to failure because it just isn't possible.

hmunster

« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2011, 06:19:57 pm »

Not having much luck, after following instructions carefully I get:

[email protected]:/etc/modprobe.d# /etc/init.d/networking restart
 * Reconfiguring network interfaces...                                          /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/ifenslave: 91: cannot create /sys/class/net/bonding_masters: Directory nonexistent

TheOracle

« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2011, 08:15:05 pm »

Don't worry, even if you try hard for this, sometimes it's only a matter of time between you and a successful experiment.

My suggestion is do NOT trust everything you read in howtos, especially the ones coming from the ubuntu community, they have lots of scripts and automation behind basic stuff, but when you're digging on something new like that, you need to go right back to basics.

For example, now you're stuck executing the /etc/init.d/networking script. To find the issue you have to learn what's inside the script (probably lots of stuff you don't even need), and try to "backtrace" over the failing call. In your error, the script crashes somewhere, while executing another script (/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/ifenslave) for some reason you probably ignore, because of the nested nature of those kind of ubuntu/debian automated scripts.

Using those scripts is not mandatory, off course they can ease our life when we are ready to be their masters, but in the other cases usually i take a giant step back, and try to follow my logic.

1st point to investigate is: do you have the right module to make bonding work?
2nd: is the module loaded correctly? insmod/modprobe + params
3rd: are you able to see the loaded module through lsmod? otherwise, any errors on dmesg?
4th: is ifenslave installed?
5th: trying basic command sequence like ifconfig ............ ifenslave........
and so forth.

in case of errors, this way you're dealing with the lowest user interface available, so the explanation/solution for the issue should be simpler than using long scripts with lot of garbage in it.

hmunster

« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2011, 08:52:51 pm »

TheOracle, thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed explanation!

Using your logic I believe I am failing at step #1.  I don't think the bonding module is present on the Dreamplug.  I've done a modprobe --list and ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r) and see no evidence of its existence unless I missing something obvious.

TheOracle

« Reply #8 on: 06 August 2011, 12:47:44 pm »

Now you have a good point to start  ;)

This bonding module is not part of dreamplug package, but it doesn't mean you can't achieve your result.
You can try to build a new kernel (lots of topics on the internet) including that module, or find some custom "ready to use" kernels with the right modules.

As soon as i finish with my current work on dreamplug i think i'll try to build my own kernel.

Now it's up to you, good luck with your dreamplug.
Pages: [1]