New IT forum
25 June 2022, 04:11:47 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: MiraBox now in stock.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dreamplug SD images available  (Read 75571 times)

pakerfeldt

Re: Dreamplug SD images available
« Reply #30 on: 12 August 2012, 06:03:13 pm »

I seem to be unable to flash my micro-sd with a new image and need some help. The dd command looks successful:

# gzip -cfv ~/Downloads/Factory-Dreamplug-Ubuntu-fixed-8Gb-1Sep11.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdc bs=1M
/home/pakerfeldt/Downloads/Factory-Dreamplug-Ubuntu-fixed-8Gb-1Sep11.img.gz:     6.8%
0+9477 records in
0+9477 records out
155564523 bytes (156 MB) copied, 42.101 s, 3.7 MB/s

But then I was unable to boot from the card. From the error it seems like it doesn't contain the boot partition. So I tried cfdisk on the drive and it says:

Unknown partition table type
Do you wish to start with a zero table [y/N] ?

I would love to try to partition the drive myself and extract the content like described here but I'm unable to get the partition content out from the image file.

Don't really know what do now and I really need some help. I've tried with both the 4GB and 8GB image and I've tried to re-download them in case some error occurred during the download.

Ralph Houston

• New IT customer
« Reply #31 on: 12 August 2012, 08:14:09 pm »

I think your decompression has gone wrong, or dd did not copy the right image - only 156 MB was copied to the SD.

pakerfeldt

« Reply #32 on: 12 August 2012, 08:48:04 pm »

I think your decompression has gone wrong, or dd did not copy the right image - only 156 MB was copied to the SD.
Which is somewhat reasonable, because I was unable to tar -xvzf the file in order to get the img file. tar complained that it didn't look like a gzip archive. 156MB is the size of the img.gz file. Could there be anything wrong with the files on your server? Seems unlikely though. I'll try to download the file to another computer and extract the img.

edit/ oh, what am I babbling about. Of course I can't untar it since it's not a tar ball. I'll try to gunzip and flash it again tomorrow and see how it goes.
« Last Edit: 12 August 2012, 09:05:25 pm by pakerfeldt »

pakerfeldt

« Reply #33 on: 13 August 2012, 06:22:41 am »

It boots now. So I was obviously unable to gunzip and dd in the same command.

mightycoco

« Reply #34 on: 20 August 2012, 10:26:55 am »

I had problems using the 8GB Image on a 8GB SD-Card. The 4GB Image worked fine, so i just had to extend the partition size of sda2.

I'm using a Class10 Sandisk and was a bit anxient, if it works but the disk was recognized and didn't show any errors with 17,7MB/s write and 320MB/s read speed (strike!!!)

[email protected]:/# dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/empty.file bs=100000 count=2000 2>&1 | grep bytes
200000000 bytes (200 MB) copied, 11.2758 s, 17.7 MB/s

[email protected]:/var/www/ss# dd if=/var/empty.file of=/dev/null bs=100000 2>&1 | grep bytes
200000000 bytes (200 MB) copied, 0.625965 s, 320 MB/s

However, I had some strange problems getting the new image running.
After putting the new microsd into the slot and booting up the dreamplug, i was thrown into the debuggin console. The error was something like ext2fsload: couldn't load uImage - wrong file system

I was rather bashing my head against the wall and tried the commands to load the system (again, the commands come from my brain and might be wrong in their syntax):
usb start
fatload usb 0 0x6400000 uImage
bootm 0x6400000

This worked like a charm and the dreamplug booted up the new wheezy system. Well, i really didn't understand what was going on - tried rebooting and was thrown into the debugger again.

After printenv i did see that the command for loading the image was
ext2load usb 0 0x.....

Why there was there ext2load?? I just bought the dreamplug some days ago, brand new, original system worked fine and apparently the sda1 was in ext2 format? I don't know.

I just changed the env-arg from ext2load to fatload and invoked a "saveenv" to write the settings persistant to the box and now everything works fine.

However, the whole precdure took me the whole friday evening - I mustn't say there was a pretty annoyed wife kicking my but ;)

Maybe, someone can explain the file-system thing to me...

Ralph Houston

• New IT customer
« Reply #35 on: 20 August 2012, 10:55:08 am »

Hi there
I've had some problems like this. The first partition with the uImage used to be a fat16. The type be changed with cfdisk or gparted. Maybe the latest releases come with both partitions ext2 or ext3? That's what it looks like from your report - as if the image you copied was fat16 and didn't match the 'env' commands.
Regards
Ralph

mightycoco

« Reply #36 on: 27 August 2012, 09:52:55 am »

I recognized that the images are absolutely bare installations, without the typical dreamplug configuration: missing apache, samba and so on... I'm quiet happy with that, as it enables me to just install the stuff I need.

However, I'm missing the automount-option when adding my usb-disks. How is this done in a regular-if-you-bought dreamplug? Is there some script, I have to modify that usb-devices are mounted to /media/usb{N}?
Any tips?

Thanks
MC

pkaplan

« Reply #37 on: 15 October 2012, 04:54:08 pm »

I downloaded the wheezy 8Gb image dated 31Aug11 from the first page of this thread expecting to get debian wheezy, but the version that that got installed on my disc was squeeze with kernel 2.6.33.6

Is a wheezy with 3.0 file really available?  Where?
Paul

NewIT_Malcolm

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: 16 October 2012, 08:14:05 am »

Hi Paul,

I have checked the image and it's correct so you are still booting to your internal SD card. You need to check your uboot variables

Here is a guide:

http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2231.0.html

pkaplan

« Reply #39 on: 16 October 2012, 10:08:55 am »

My bad.  Not enough sleep.
Paul

pkaplan

« Reply #40 on: 16 October 2012, 02:09:24 pm »

OK next question...

Got the image installed (8Gb) and started the boot process.

Everything appears to go normally (as observed on the console) until the following: 

INIT: version 2.88 booting
Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel S.
Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udeved.
Synthesizing the initial hotplug events...done.
Waiting for /dev to be fully populated...udevd[637]: unable to receive ctrl connection: Function not implemented

udevd[637]: unable to receive ctrl connection: Function not implemented

udevd[637]: unable to receive ctrl connection: Function not implemented

The last line then continues to appear indefinitely.

Is this a problem with the uboot configuration?  The env variables I have work fine with the Squeeze image (they are a little different from what you show in your link above).  Or could it be some conflict between the image an my version of the plug???

Paul

NewIT_Malcolm

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: 16 October 2012, 02:41:33 pm »

Paul,

Did the image copy to the SD card without any errors?

pkaplan

« Reply #42 on: 16 October 2012, 02:53:23 pm »

Yes.  md5sum on img file was correct too.

Used the NewIT-Dreamplug-Debian-Wheezy-8Gb-31Aug11.img.gz file on a v0802 plug

image to a class 4 8Gb SD card installed in sdb position

udev environment (not multiboot since I can't get that to work reliably):

bootcmd setenv ethact egiga0; ${x_bootcmd_ethernet}; ${x_bootcmd_usb}; ${y_bootcmd_kernel}; setenv bootargs ${x_bootargs} ${x_bootargs_root}; bootm 0x6400000;
bootdelay 3
baudrate 115200
x_bootcmd_ethernet ping 192.168.2.1
x_bootcmd_usb usb start
y_bootcmd_kernel fatload usb 0 0x6400000 uImage
x_bootargs console=ttyS0,115200
x_bootargs_root root=/dev/sdb2 rootdelay=10
ethact egiga0
ethaddr F0:AD:4E:00:92:A1
eth1addr F0:AD:4E:00:92:A2
stdin serial
stdout serial
stderr serial

Works for the 0802 version of Squeeze (NewIT-Dreamplug-Debian-Squeeze-8Gb-30Aug11.img.gz, which by the way loads kernel v 2.6.33.6, not 2.6.38 as stated on page 1 and doesn't seem to enable the AP)
« Last Edit: 16 October 2012, 08:40:16 pm by pkaplan »

zoukimando

« Reply #43 on: 10 May 2013, 08:30:11 pm »

Hi, I've just bought a new Dreamplug 003-DS2001 (Version 12) to replace a venerable 0801 which recently died. My question is are any of the Debian installations suitable for this model? I downloaded the "Debian Wheezy images with wifi client included in kernel v3.4.4" version shown here and installed it on a microSD card but it didn't boot. I've done no diagnostics as I don't have a jTag, or the time at the moment, so it may just have been a dodgy install, but I thought I'd ask here.
The sticky page needs updating anyway to include the new model numbers

jayh391

« Reply #44 on: 12 June 2013, 08:24:02 pm »

Hello all .... I am very new to this... Have lots "controls" background. I must be doing something wrong. I have read and reread the posts on making a GUIplug SD. Am I correct in thinking if, I download the image and dd it to a large enough SD ( with no errors )and swap it for the internal SD in my Dreamplug It should boot?

Thanks Jay
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4