New IT forum
11 August 2022, 04:51:27 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: PiHub now in stock.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: GuiPlug does not see touch screen?  (Read 29725 times)

Stephane_Varin

Re: GuiPlug does not see touch screen?
« Reply #30 on: 10 October 2011, 01:24:54 pm »

I'll try to test the touchscreen with a windows computer to rule that out.

I will need to get access to a computer where I will be allowed to install the drivers.

Are you positive that the touchscreen should work out of the box with windows?

Stephane_Varin

« Reply #31 on: 11 October 2011, 04:03:45 am »

Have not been able to test on windows yet, just an additional thought.

If it is a "hardware" problem, it doesn't explain why this:

Code: [Select]
(II) config/udev: Adding input device eGalax I USB Touc (/dev/input/mouse0)
I mean, if I folllow your reasoning correctly, it is because of the incorrect MatchProduct line that the xorg.conf file is not used, right? I don't know if a hardware problem would cause this, would it?

Now, looking at your web site, I see that the picture of the iMo Pivot Touch you are selling is slightly different from the one I have. So it is likely that my model is an earlier version from the model sold by NewIT, which would probably explain the different behaviour (and the MatchProduct problem)

If that is indeed the reason, I also understand it is not NewIT responsibility, I should have bought the screen together with the GuiPlug, but again, I already had the screen, I thought it was going to work.

The question in that case would be: what needs to be changed to get this screen to be "correctly" recognized and configured? Is it a driver version problem?

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #32 on: 11 October 2011, 09:28:15 am »

Here is my reasoning, please comment on anything you feel is wrong or anything I have ommitted:

However you look at it, this
eGalax I USB Touc
should be this
"eGalax Inc. USB TouchController"
the string is mangled, which to me implies a communication problem.
(OK it could possibly be 'eGalax Inc. USB TouchScreen'  or even just 'eGalax Inc. USB Touch' on a different model release, but no way are they going to truncate the 'Inc' part of the company name).

Software communication issues:
It is unlikely to be a kernel module (udlfb) problem, but it has not been ruled out, you would be the only reported user suffering it if it is.
The module in some form has been around since 2009 (tried & tested in the wild).
The rest of the USB infrastructure is well established, and would most probably affect other USB devices if it had issues.

Hardware communication issues:
There is little point in swapping USB ports on the plug, they are all on the same hub.

On a PC you will  (usually) be able to swap between USB 1 & USB 2 ports (worth trying).
If you get the same when plugged into a different computer running a different OS, the only component that has remained constant is the monitor itself.
You may not need to install widows drivers (if it's been around since 2009, is should be in Windows 7).
If you can get at 'device manager', look for the touchscreen identification string.

« Last Edit: 11 October 2011, 09:52:32 am by Confusticated »
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

Stephane_Varin

« Reply #33 on: 15 October 2011, 03:54:56 pm »

Halas, finally got a chance to test the monitor with a Windows Vista PC...and the touch does not work. The display works fine, but it looks like the screen presented itself as a tablet...

So Confusticated, James, you were right, looks like this is a hardware problem.

I am going send NewIT another pile of cash and get another touch screen  :-\

Anyway, this might sound crazy, but I am still really enjoying this tinkering around with the stuff, banging my head on a wall, having to investigate and eventually figuring it out. Hopefully, I will get a screen that works and in the end I will be able to share with you guys the final result (don't get too excited, it's rather lame...)

Thanks again very much for your help.

Until next time.

Cheers
Stephane

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #34 on: 15 October 2011, 07:28:21 pm »

It is a well recorded fact that 'you will learn more about computers using a broken one' than you will one that works :)
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

Stephane_Varin

« Reply #35 on: 29 December 2011, 11:39:49 am »

Hi all,

Just wanted to "close" the thread by saying that everything is working just fine, I have finally found the time to complete my little pet project. A lame inventory manager, nothing extraordinary, but my wife thinks it's cool and my daughter thinks it's cool, so I feel cool  :D

Thanks a lot for the support, advice, help and assistance.

See you next year for the next project  ;)

Cheers,
Stephane
Pages: 1 2 [3]