New IT forum
26 June 2022, 04:59:27 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: PiHub now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How many monitors can a GuiPlug support?  (Read 5297 times)

Kevin

How many monitors can a GuiPlug support?
« on: 13 September 2011, 03:05:25 pm »

I want to set up a kiosk system where each screen displays a web browser (Firefox or similar) full-screen with no window manager.

In order to keep costs down and simplify system design I'd like to drive multiple monitors from a single Plug (probably a DreamPlug, but I'm not fussy).

So the question is - how many 10" Mimo Monsters can a GuiPlug drive at the same time?  Ideally with Apache running too, providing the web server for the browsers.

If the answer is 4 or more then the cheque's in the post :-)

NewITMalcolm

• Administrator
Re: How many monitors can a GuiPlug support?
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2011, 04:50:04 pm »

Hi kbro,

I have been meaning to investigate this further for ages so thanks for the prompting.

I have a Dream Guiplug with a Mimo Monster attached and working, an Imo Pivot attached to the 2nd USB and two Mimo 720S monitors attached to the Hub output on the Monster.

There are now devices /dev/fb0 to /dev/fb3 created. fb0 is the Gnome desktop and fb1-3 are the monitors which I can dump an image to any of these and it's displayed.

By default if I touch any of the screens the mouse pointer is moved on the Gnome Desktop.

This was using the Dreamplug with GuiPlug v2.6 and no configuration changes.

NewITJames

« Last Edit: 13 September 2011, 07:29:22 pm by NewIT_James »
NewITJames

Kevin

Re: How many monitors can a GuiPlug support?
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2011, 08:53:46 pm »

James - that's fantastic news!  One slight downer is that I noticed the Mini-Monster is only 1024x600 - do you have anything XVGA (1024x768).

Probably not, or I'm sure you'd have it on the site.
Pages: [1]