New IT forum
12 August 2022, 04:09:15 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Adding users  (Read 4340 times)

matt_twam_asi

Adding users
« on: 09 February 2010, 08:37:45 pm »

Hi,

I've been playing round with my sheeva plug for a week or so now, and I've managed to get it 90% how I want it. I've used Ubuntu Linux for a few years now, but never tried any server type stuff so it's still been a learning curve!

I have set up SSH and it's working well (including , but I'm currently logging into the root account which I'm not comfortable with. Can you provide instructions on setting up an administrator (sudo access etc) and a normal user (no sudo access) on the sheeva plug, so that I can ssh into those accounts instead? Or if I'm missing something, please do let me know!

Many thanks,

Matt

NewIT_Marcus

Re: Adding users
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2010, 08:59:33 pm »

adduser

sudoers file

And a bit more about sudo

Those should get you started. If you prefer to use a GUI, webmin can handle adding users and lists a sudo group.

Baz

« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2010, 07:59:02 pm »

Thanks for the links.
I added a new user ok
When I tried a sudo ... it gave the error sudo : must be setuid root.
After a bit of searching I found a link suggesting chmod +s /usr/bin/sudo which seemed to make that error go away. No idea what I was doing though.

matt_twam_asi

« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2010, 10:21:50 pm »

Thanks for the links. I've been spoiled by the Ubuntu desktop edition GUIs, so it's nice to finally be learning the CLI way of doing things!
Pages: [1]