New IT forum
17 July 2018, 07:47:47 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 4 Sata drives on my Openrd??  (Read 12669 times)

superpat

4 Sata drives on my Openrd??
« on: 02 October 2011, 06:57:29 pm »

Hi,

I am thinking of expanding my two drive Nas / Music Server, which uses the internal and external Sata ports provided on my OpenRD Ultimate, as a Raid 1

I have just purchased a Startech two port Pci X1 express Sata card off Ebay.  I plugged it into the external pci socket, and after remembering  to switch the pcie port "ON" by means of the slider switch on the end panel of the case was able to use either of the two new sata ports with great success, as well as the internal port.

In reality, I have two 2.5in sata drives, set up as a mirrored raid, one internal, the other is normally in an Esata external case plugged into the openRD Esata port. I found a short Esata to Sata cable and ran the external drive on either of the ports on the new pcie card.

I have a 4 drive NAS I made some time ago, that uses a VIA Minu-itx  board, this uses a lot of power, so my aim is to replace the Via board with the openrd card,  I am impatiently waiting for Volker of FreeNas fame to release his magnificent  new Deb based "OpenMediaVault", Nas software which I hope I can install on the Openrd. He should be releasing it RSN.

If anyone has already got 4 drives working on an openrd, please let me know how you got on.

regards

Patrick
Pages: [1]