New IT forum
26 June 2022, 06:05:54 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Coolest Plug just got Cooler  (Read 9333 times)

Confusticated

• New IT customer
The Coolest Plug just got Cooler
« on: 15 October 2011, 06:32:38 pm »

After a heavy hacking session I opened the plug to access the SDHC and Ouch!
Yes I am paranoid, but its not summer any more, there is no excuse for any electronic device to be hot enough to fry eggs.
So I decided to see exactly what it was that lay behind that DreamPlug logo, and I was pleasantly surprised by a good quality heatsink.
The trickiest part of this mod is removing it without breaking the tags that hold it in place, but even if you do, not all is lost.
With a little glue when put back together, the sandwich nature of the assembly will hold everything in place.
« Last Edit: 17 October 2011, 10:09:39 am by Confusticated »
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

Confusticated

• New IT customer
Re: The Coolest Plug just got Cooler
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2011, 06:32:55 pm »

Although the vents are far better than anything seen on a plug before, they are still quite restrictive to passive airflow.
But they do lend something to the asthetic appearance of the plug so I was reluctant to do away with them.
I have settled on removing the DreamPlug Logo area, leaving the vents intact.
I will use the plug like this for a while and monitor the temperature, I can always remove more casing if I need to, putting it back is a little harder :)
« Last Edit: 17 October 2011, 10:06:00 am by Confusticated »
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2011, 06:33:13 pm »

The modified plug, not ugly, not hot.
I measured the exposed fin temperature as 45 Deg C
« Last Edit: 17 October 2011, 10:07:59 am by Confusticated »

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2011, 02:58:38 pm »

Now using the 'ondemand' performance governor to automatically apply CPU Frequency Scaling.
What this driver actually does is to activate what the SoC documentation calls 'lower power mode', which reduces the CPU Frequency from 1200MHz to 400MHz.
The SoC also supports the option to reduce the CPU Frequency to half (600Mhz), but this is not currently implemented by the driver.

I can measure no appreciable difference of (mains) power consumed by the device, but measuring the 5V power consumption may yield different results and is worth investigating if an alternative power source such as a battery is to be used.

The temperature of the exposed heatsink is 30Deg. C with the CPU idle, 33Deg. C under full load (yes it's winter), an enclosed case may yield different results.

Conclusion, not really worth it if any significant work is required to implement.

NewITMalcolm

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2011, 08:40:28 pm »

I have a new Temp sensor especially to try out 'on demand' but have come to a similar conclusion, <0.8 degree temp drop switching from 1200Mhz to 400Mhz so looks like we are getting much less performance without any benefit of appreciable lower temperature or power use.

I am going to run the same tests on the Efika for comparison.

NewITJames

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2011, 07:05:49 pm »

What I did *not* do in my test was to put everything else to sleep too (USB,Wifi,eth0,sound...)

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2012, 11:06:35 pm »

For reference the ambient temperature is 20 Deg.C, which shows that the oversized quality heatsink of the modified DreamPlug is just as effective (if not more) than the active cooling of a modified GuruPlug, it is also silent and more reliable.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2012, 11:10:07 pm by Confusticated »
Pages: [1]