New IT forum
29 June 2022, 07:17:31 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: MiraBox now in stock.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: GuiPlug v2.7 now available  (Read 31310 times)

Confusticated

• New IT customer
Re: GuiPlug v2.7 now available
« Reply #15 on: 12 November 2011, 12:51:45 am »

Using a sequential write (using dd) ?
Try a disk benchmarking tool, I have only benchmarked HDD's myself (for raid optimisation).
See if bonnie is available for the distro and suitable for flash (might be worth a google)
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

Ralph Houston

• New IT customer
« Reply #16 on: 15 November 2011, 07:18:20 am »

Yes, this was a sequential dd with 1MB block size to a 4GB class 4 card.

Had a hunt for Flash tests and didn't find any info I could trust.
Inquisitor seemingly only available as ISO or source.
Burned and booted a CD on my main PC.
Flash test in Inquisitor couldn't see SD card in USB adaptor.
Ran bonnie which immediately cleared MBR, partition table and randomly corrupted my main 500GB drive!
Fortunately I'm paranoid so restored all from full backup.
Not enthusiastic about pursuing this one - I think the low-level handling in the SD cards is masking the issue.

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #17 on: 15 November 2011, 12:06:33 pm »

1MB block size

handling in the SD cards is masking the issue

Definitely, the default block size of 512 would be a better test

cleared MBR, partition table and randomly corrupted my main 500GB drive!
Been there, done that, now I always unplug them first, I'm more paranoid, I don't even trust my backups :)
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

Ralph Houston

• New IT customer
« Reply #18 on: 17 November 2011, 11:31:16 am »

Definitely, the default block size of 512 would be a better test

I thought the issue here was whether the SD card performance was affected by having to read and re-write parts of large blocks that split across boundaries, because of partition misalignment:
    A      B       C
[------][------][------]
   ^
      If your partition starts here, both blocks A & B must be copied, erased and rewritten (because an erase is 'block' bytes long).

Surely if the block size is only 512, the problem won't occur?

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #19 on: 17 November 2011, 12:49:48 pm »

You want the write block size not to be larger than the SD erase block size  (128KB <> 512KB) for worst case scenario.
Also 'conv=direct' argument for dd is required, otherwise Linux is going to cache it all into one big write anyway.

If it is possible to determine what the erase block size is, a (misaligned) write block size of exactly that would be good,
as every write would cross a boundary, causing a double erase.

EDIT: Jason, is it possible to trim a part-thread and put it somewhere else ? We are far off topic here.
« Last Edit: 17 November 2011, 01:10:56 pm by Confusticated »

derrickr

« Reply #20 on: 10 December 2011, 04:32:41 pm »

I've spent most of today trying to use the NewIT-GuiPlug-4Gb-25Jun11-v2.6-Dreamplug.img.gz http://downloadsnewit.co.uk/SD-images/Dreamplug/GuiPlug/NewIT-GuiPlug-4Gb-25Jun11-v2.6-Dreamplug.img.gz to write this image to a (known good / working) 4GB microSD card, but keep getting "No space left on device errors".

I must admit, my first attempt was probably my own fault as I used a bs=1MB in my dd command:

Code: [Select]
gzip -cdv NewIT-GuiPlug-v2.7-4Gb-29oct11-Dreamplug.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
NewIT-GuiPlug-v2.7-4Gb-29oct11-Dreamplug.img.gz:
                                                                        dd: writing `/dev/sdb': No space left on device
1+117713 records in
1+117712 records out
3965190144 bytes (4.0 GB) copied, 1182.24 s, 3.4 MB/s

I found out the hard way that this didn't work by (impatiently) simply trying the dreamplug straight away, but was unable to get any response (i.e. not seen on my network, and not responding as per previous, supplied, card).

I then re-read the forum postings and did a md5sum check which was indeed wrong.

I therefore retried the dd, using the specified bs=8192 but this also threw up a similar dd output:

gzip -cdv NewIT-GuiPlug-v2.7-4Gb-29oct11-Dreamplug.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=8192
NewIT-GuiPlug-v2.7-4Gb-29oct11-Dreamplug.img.gz:
                                                                        dd: writing `/dev/sdb': No space left on device
484033+0 records in
484032+0 records out
3965190144 bytes (4.0 GB) copied, 1196.77 s, 3.3 MB/s

The obvious clue being the "No space left on device", led me to carry out another md5sum which again failed.

So, I'm now stuck with a failed image, and am wondering if an even smaller dd bs would help, maybe bs=512. (I'll give this a go, just in case)

I also saw:
I know everyone's bored to tears with this - but I had to cut this image down to 4GB to fit on my SD card - AGAIIN...
Anyway, it boots beautifully now.
Should *I* make a '3.9GB' image available?

I'm thinking this might be a good idea, and wonder if it could be made available? :)

In the mean time, if the bs=512 doesn't work, I'll try the image resize method and post back my results here
« Last Edit: 10 December 2011, 05:43:21 pm by derrickr »

derrickr

« Reply #21 on: 10 December 2011, 05:38:32 pm »

OK time to try an image resize, after the bs=512 didn't work:

gzip -cdv NewIT-GuiPlug-v2.7-4Gb-29oct11-Dreamplug.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=512
NewIT-GuiPlug-v2.7-4Gb-29oct11-Dreamplug.img.gz: dd:
                                                                       writing `/dev/sdb': No space left on device
7744513+0 records in
7744512+0 records out
3965190144 bytes (4.0 GB) copied, 5096.02 s, 778 kB/s

for any other reader, this simply wasted just under 85 minutes of my time - oh well, worth a try!
« Last Edit: 10 December 2011, 05:42:44 pm by derrickr »

Ralph Houston

• New IT customer
« Reply #22 on: 11 December 2011, 10:42:10 am »

Hi Derrick
Yes, it's very time consuming.
What I did was to uncompress the image (on another system) and then mount it:
Mount a dd'd disk image file

This method wouldn't work on the DP itself for some reason. I could then partition and format the SD and copy the image contents. For your information, the partition table on the card you've been using is likely to be almost correct, except the end of the second partition will be off the end of your device, so correct that first.

More details earlier in this thread.
Good luck,
Ralph

derrickr

« Reply #23 on: 11 December 2011, 10:19:06 pm »

Thanks for the feedback Ralph.

Unfortunately, I spent most of today trying to get this to work with no luck. You were spot on re "the end of the second partition will be off the end of your device", but after correcting that and trying Confusticated's image.sh script I kept getting errors:

You must set cylinders.
You can do this from the extra functions menu.
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
./tmp1
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
./tmp2

I then tried another micro SD card (this time a Transcend 16GB Class 6), but seem to have only managed to make it completely unusuable :(

I was hoping to learn how to create imaged micro SD cards, but have ended up wasting far too much time and borking a perfectly good 16GB micro SD card.

Next step: purchase the imaged card(s). It's not the cost that I care about, but more the method of being able to achieve my desired result.

I wouldn't say I'm a complete noob (and indeed we all have something to learn), but this has proved very frustrating.

I guess I could have been unlucky with my hardware, but I'm sure we could all benefit from some clear straight talking steps. As soon as I get a good method / hardware that works, I'll feedback my experience.

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #24 on: 11 December 2011, 11:31:14 pm »

You need to format the partitions after you have recreated them.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2011, 11:35:16 pm by Confusticated »

Ralph Houston

• New IT customer
« Reply #25 on: 12 December 2011, 08:12:34 am »

Hi Derrick
Those were the same errors I got when I tried to mount the images on the DP itself, and the partitions were formatted - it worked OK on a desktop running Ubuntu. Maybe a kernel difference, or the 'mount' command being fussier.
If either you (or someone at NewIT) could give me somewhere to send a 'shorter' 4GB image I'd be happy to do so.
R

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #26 on: 12 December 2011, 08:29:31 pm »

Those were the same errors I got when I tried to mount the images on the DP itself,
Thanks for pointing that out, it should work if you are booting the plug using a New IT image but not if you use the original kernel, I will amend the other thread to make it clearer.

derrickr

« Reply #27 on: 14 December 2011, 06:04:52 pm »

Hi Confusticated and thanks for the feeback,

I'm a little confused. I thought your ./image-mount.sh script takes the NewIT .img file as its argument, and mounts its two 'internal' .img files to a host's hard drive so that one could then potentially copy them onto a target device. From what I understand of your feedback above, I think I need to (re)-format the partitions so the image(s) can then be mounted, which should overcome the "mount: you must specify the filesystem type" issue.

Apologies if I'm missing the point here - I could be way off  ???

derrickr

« Reply #28 on: 14 December 2011, 06:07:17 pm »

Hi Derrick
Those were the same errors I got when I tried to mount the images on the DP itself, and the partitions were formatted - it worked OK on a desktop running Ubuntu. Maybe a kernel difference, or the 'mount' command being fussier.
If either you (or someone at NewIT) could give me somewhere to send a 'shorter' 4GB image I'd be happy to do so.
R

Thanks Ralph, appreciate the help!

NewIT - Any chance of providing space for the shortened image?

TIA

derrickr

« Reply #29 on: 14 December 2011, 08:29:13 pm »

I just re read my earlier post and am thinking that can't possibly be right. What exactly am I formatting?

From what I understand of your feedback above, I think I need to (re)-format the partitions so the image(s) can then be mounted, which should overcome the "mount: you must specify the filesystem type" issue.

I once again dd'd the 4GB NewIT Gui image to my 4GB card (which failed, as expected), and then re formatted the card so its geometry would be OK. So I now have a 4GB card with a 60MB FAT partition, followed by a 3.9GB ext4 partition. But of course the script doesn't write directly to the card. As I understand it, it mounts the NewIT 4GB Gui image as a loop device. So now I'm really confused.

It'd be nice to understand how to extract the .img files from the main .img file, and from there I should then be able to mount those, and finally get to the files to tar / copy over to my target device. I think ???
Pages: 1 [2] 3