New IT forum
26 June 2022, 05:33:00 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: MiraBox now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Guuplug 2.7 on Dreamplug problems  (Read 6406 times)

bwooster0

Guuplug 2.7 on Dreamplug problems
« on: 24 November 2011, 05:22:41 am »

First I had install problems. I wrote the img.gz file onto a usb stick and inserted it into my dreamplug. Then I hooked up an SD card reader which had a 16 gb sd card in it. I used the instructions to install the image onto the 16 gb sd card but kept getting error messages that said that the orion usb device reset or something like that. Then I hooked up a usp hub port to the dreamplug and inserted the usb stick and sd card reader into the hub. I was then able to install guiplug onto the sd card.

I booted up the dreamplug via the new sd card and was able to vnc into the dreamplug. I did notice that uname -r reported 2.6.33.6 - NOT kernel 3.0.7.

Did I do something wrong or does the image file have an older kernel?

Where on the desktop is there a "reboot" or "restart" command?

Thanks for any help

Ralph Houston

• New IT customer
Re: Guuplug 2.7 on Dreamplug problems
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2011, 05:53:01 am »

Is your DreamPlug a multi-boot? Otherwise you will be loading the kernel from sda1 (internal SD).
There's a reboot in /sbin (access via root terminal).

bwooster0

« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2011, 06:20:01 am »

My Dreamplug was one of the first sent out. I think that you are right, it is loading the uImage from the internal sd card. How can I change it to load the correct one from the SD card that I inserted?

Thanks for your help

NewITMalcolm

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2011, 08:03:46 am »

Here is the link for the multiboot configuration

http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2231.0.html
NewITJames

bwooster0

Re: Guiplug 2.7 on Dreamplug problems
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2011, 08:30:36 am »

I guess I could just copy the uImage file that I want onto the internal sd card too right? That seems like the easiest thing to do.

Ralph Houston

• New IT customer
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2011, 04:25:26 pm »

Overwriting the kernel on sda1 would not pick up the root file system on your external SD (sdb2).

If you have a jtag, this method might work, though I haven't tried it (labelling sdb of course):
Concerning the device order problem (/sda/sdb/sdc/sdd), it seems that there is a workaround: using a disk label.
Set up a label with the e2label command (ie: e2label /dev/sda bootdisk), then, at the boot prompt, add the following parameter: root=LABEL=bootdisk

Otherwise, the simplest solution is to use a micro SD card and put it inside.
Pages: [1]