New IT forum
10 August 2022, 11:01:33 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Efika smarttop as media center?  (Read 8386 times)

PacoLM

Efika smarttop as media center?
« on: 11 December 2011, 06:33:00 pm »

Hi,

I was thinking in buying an Efika MX smarttop to be a media center. I do not know if this tiny computer could have all the capabilities I want for it. Could anyone tell me if this system could be turned in a media center with a wireless keyboard+mouse, so my kids could use the TV to see their movies and surf the web?.

Thanks in advance,

PacoLM

Warfire

• New IT customer
Re: Efika smarttop as media center?
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2012, 04:33:39 pm »

Hi PacoLM,

I use my Efika MX for exactly that purpose. I have Ubuntu from the last NewIT image (I bought the SD with it) and it plays everything I've thrown at it (even 720p MKVs) with no problem. I get the occasional stutter or delay playing AVIs but that must be something happening in the background since it is intermittent.

The HDMI connection does sound as well so all I needed to do was plug into my TV and it worked.

I use a wireless keyboard with trackpad - just check for Linux compatibility since it uses quite an old Kernel.

Thanks,
-
Warfire

PacoLM

« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2012, 06:23:23 pm »

Hi,

I finally ordered a CuBox (www.solid-run.com), if I'm not successful with it, I will give Efika a try.

Thanks for the information,

PacoLM

dave

« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2012, 10:40:01 pm »

Hi Paco,

I was contemplating the Efika MX when I saw your thread - have you received your CuBox yet (I see there is a waiting list)? It sounds almost too good to be true.. if you have it up and running, what are your experiences with it? I am looking for something to run a media center (like XBMC) mostly to play films.

Cheers,

David

PacoLM

« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2012, 03:53:39 am »

Hi Paco,

I was contemplating the Efika MX when I saw your thread - have you received your CuBox yet (I see there is a waiting list)? It sounds almost too good to be true.. if you have it up and running, what are your experiences with it? I am looking for something to run a media center (like XBMC) mostly to play films.

Cheers,

David

Hi Dave,

Yes, I have the CuBox from January. I'm a bit dissapointed with this computer, even it's powerful, the support is not as mature as for Guruplugs, Efika or Sheeva. Right now I'm still playing with it installing different OS and apps (like Zoneminder). Yesterday they have released a new XMBC installation package that I didn't tried, but the comments are really good. Another point is the price, if you are located in Europe, you will have to add the customs taxes to the CuBox price. I had to pay almost 50 Euros, so 50% of the price... I suggest you to signup in the CuBox forum and read the XMBC threads:

http://www.solid-run.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=475
http://www.solid-run.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=501

Regards,

PacoLM

gpauk

« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2012, 12:01:18 pm »

Is there an XBMC port to Efika -- I can't find one but given the number there are for Raspberry Pi I'm amazed there doesn't seem to be XBMC??
Pages: [1]