New IT forum
12 August 2022, 02:46:53 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: clone root partition  (Read 5017 times)

adam

clone root partition
« on: 17 December 2011, 12:08:20 am »

Hi there.  I've just configured/tweaked my dreamplug after a reinstall.  Is it possible for me to clone the root filesystem so that if I need to, I can implement a perfect rollback to this initial state.  If I was working with a linux distro on a pc, I'd boot from a live CD and then use dd to clone the unmounted root partition (or I'd use clonezilla).  Is there an equivalent for this?

P.S. I've read through some old posts on this subject but didn't come across a 'simple' solution; apologies if I missed anything pertinent

Ralph Houston

• New IT customer
Re: clone root partition
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2011, 07:32:50 pm »

If you take my system as an example - dual boot with Debian on sda and GuiPlug on sdb - then it's entirely possible to boot from one and back up the other for recovery purposes.

adam

« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2011, 01:33:06 am »

Thanks for the tip.  I have one internal SD which currently has debian squeeze.  Do you have an external SD for your second OS or have you subdivided the internal drive?  If the latter, I'm guessing one has to shrink the file system first, then reduce the partition size and lastly create a new partition for the second OS.  Am I in the right ballpark?

Ralph Houston

• New IT customer
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2011, 09:08:15 am »

You're right - sda is the internal SD and sdb is an external one. I haven't tried to put four partitions on one SD and I'm not sure how you'd get the other OS to boot. The discussion on multi-boot is here:

http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2231.0.html
Pages: [1]