New IT forum
10 August 2022, 10:52:04 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: GertDuino now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: GuruPlug Performance  (Read 5419 times)

richardtowyn

GuruPlug Performance
« on: 18 January 2012, 12:11:16 pm »

Hi,

I've set up my Guruplug standard with Kernel 2.6.35.9, Zoneminder and a EasyCAP video capture device and a serial port for the PTZ camera.

The system works but the frame rate is very poor: about 1 frame every 5 seconds. For my application I would preffer something towards 5 - 15 fps.

Is there anyway to configure the GuruPlug to simply capture and stream the video (and audio ideally) over the network?
I'm not too bothered about the other features on Zoneminder and susspect that it and MySQL are overloading the plug.

Thanks for your help

Rich

Confusticated

• New IT customer
Re: GuruPlug Performance
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2012, 09:47:17 pm »

'motion' and 'streamer' are two lightweight no-nonsense utilities.
But there is no guarantee they will support your camera if it is not of a popular 'standard'.

'motion' http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

'streamer' is part of the 'xawtv' package available for most distro's
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

PacoLM

« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2012, 06:21:11 am »

The system works but the frame rate is very poor: about 1 frame every 5 seconds. For my application I would preffer something towards 5 - 15 fps.

It must be something related to the configuration, driver or kernel USB related issue. I have a guruplug running Zoneminder with 3 ipcams and capturing in motion mode 3 fps/5fps when alarmed from each one (could be faster, but I prefer this configuration). The CPU load is really low (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14178571/Zoneminder/htop.jpg).
 Where do you have the OS installed?. Maybe you could fine tune your system.

PacoLM

richardtowyn

« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2012, 09:19:20 am »

Thank you both,

I suspect that as the plug is also driving the EasyCAP USB adapter that this is slowing the system down. I'll have a go to see if it can be improved.

Thanks

Rich
Pages: [1]