New IT forum
10 August 2022, 11:48:56 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: PiHub now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rant - Things I Hate....  (Read 4226 times)

Confusticated

• New IT customer
Rant - Things I Hate....
« on: 24 January 2012, 02:21:54 pm »

Rant - Things I Hate....Manufacturers that make their hardware\firmware lie

One of the things guaranteed to get my goat is when a manufacturer plays fast and loose with model\identification information.
Cases in point...

Guruplugs that masquerade as Sheevaplugs because Globalscale couldn't be bothered to register for a new Machine ID.
Dreamplugs that masquerade as Guruplugs because Globalscale....
USB devices that (drastically) change in hardware, but continue to use the previous models Vendor:productID
Different branded hardware that all use the same model name, real pain when trying to get support forcing you to memorise obscure serial numbers (which one of the 100 Radeon video cards is that sir?)
HDD's that report sector sizes of 512B when in fact they are 4096B

I can only conclude that (some) manufacturers persist in this practice because it keeps their stuff working with Windoze, rather than providing updates, the rest ? Well they must be just plain ignorant!

Feel free to vent your spleen here in this thread on your pet hate, it won't do any good, but knowing others out there are as pi$$ed off as me will make me feel better.
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

apemberton

Re: Rant - Things I Hate....
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2012, 07:57:42 pm »

OK, I am absolutely livid about Gnome 3! Although it works OK on a desktop PC, it does not operate on Sheeva/Guruplugs. Each installation is different too. I use VNC and thus it is unlikely that it will work (for me) in the near future as Gnome 3 wants 3D hardware. I am going to be a convert to Xfce though getting rid of Gnome is a pain in the a***!

Incidentally, Doesn't the Guruplug have a  arcnumber=2659 while the Sheevaplug has arcnumber=2097 or 2678 depending whether it has an eSata interface? That said, I didn't see an arcnumber for the Dreamplug though as I don't have a DP, I can't be sure.

Another point I dislike - though is not a particularly 'plug fault - is the need to manually update since I don't want to risk 'plugs hanging during updates waiting on input or clobbering configuration files.

Tony Pemberton

Confusticated

• New IT customer
Re: Rant - Things I Hate....
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2012, 08:29:12 pm »

The machid (arcNumber) for the dreamplug is 3550 :)
And the reason these variables are set is to override the wrong number u-boot has been told to use.

GNOME3 - don't get me started...anyway that's your rant :), apparently they are making changes so that it will work without hardware support.
It's all going to be offloaded from the GPU to the CPU, good luck running that responsively on a plug.
Kudos to yourself, you keep good company, Linus also switched to Xfce from GNOME.
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!
Pages: [1]