New IT forum
11 August 2022, 12:13:12 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What will be the maximum current on usb ports  (Read 9300 times)

madman2003

What will be the maximum current on usb ports
« on: 27 February 2010, 08:35:19 pm »

The sheevaplug has a single usb port which apparently can provide 780 mA current, this is above the usb spec of 500 mA. The Guruplug will have 2 usb ports, has the maximum been increased? Could two ports combined handle the startup current of a 2.5" harddrive (which is in the 900-1000 mA range)?

NewIT_Jason

• New IT Technical Staff
  • Administrator
Re: What will be the maximum current on usb ports
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2010, 04:09:39 pm »

As soon as Globalscale send us the technical specs for the GuruPlugs we will be able to answer this question for you.

djrm

« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2010, 09:33:18 pm »

I have been reading about the power supply problems with some Sheeva plugs used with external DC load on the USB, I wonder if the Guru plug will have an upgraded power supply. I am a happy owner of an OpenRD client board which seems to have a robust external power supply and the OpenRD board can happily drive external USB devices, I hope my new Guru plug will be ok when it arrives.

NewIT_Jason

• New IT Technical Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2010, 06:55:59 am »

Globalscale have confirmed that the GuruPlugs will have a different power supply unit to the ShevaPlugs, but we still await the full spec.

twistedfury

« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2010, 09:48:10 pm »

Hi, I've preordered a guruplug server and was planning to hook up a 2.5" drive via eSata.  It'd certainly be useful to know from globalscale whether they expect the internal power supply to cope with this load (and if replacements will be available should the worst happen).

alfon

« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2010, 10:14:15 pm »

Hi, I've preordered a guruplug server and was planning to hook up a 2.5" drive via eSata.  It'd certainly be useful to know from globalscale whether they expect the internal power supply to cope with this load (and if replacements will be available should the worst happen).

I was under the impression that e-sata ports do not supply power (i.e. that you would need a separate power supply for your 2.5" drive regardless of the Guruplug's power supply specs). Isn't this so?

Best regards,
Alf

el_rico

« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2010, 09:31:09 am »

Yes, power on eSata is not that frequent (on both sides).

But generally 2"5 eSata drives come with a power plug and associated USB cable to take power from the USB port. This ends up to the initial question: max current on USB ports (USB spec is 500mA, but 1A is required here).
Pages: [1]