New IT forum
26 June 2022, 04:29:16 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: PiHub now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Data Transfer between Raspberrypi and Sheevaplug - Ideas Please?  (Read 5422 times)

apemberton

Data Transfer between Raspberrypi and Sheevaplug - Ideas Please?
« on: 13 September 2012, 10:14:57 am »

I am having a mental block (senior citizen moment?  ;D) about transferring data between a RapberryPi and a Sheevaplug. The RPi is collecting temperature values from a 1-Wire DS18S20 (via a DS2482-100 i2c/1-Wire convertor) and placing in a file using the One Wire File System (OWFS). Temperature is placed in a local file on the RPi. This works fine and I have two RPi's monitoring different places. I now want a Sheevaplug to collect the temperature info from the RPi's and both graph it (possibly rrdtool) and use it to command network relay controllers to operate motorised radiator valves or fans.

My problem is simple. I cannot decide how to transfer the temperature data between machines. My first thoughts are using ftp triggered by a cron job at 5 minute intervals but who should be master and slave in the transaction? Then there may be a http/php/xml script. I just can't make up my mind.

Thanks in advance
Tony Pemberton

PacoLM

Re: Data Transfer between Raspberrypi and Sheevaplug - Ideas Please?
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2012, 10:24:29 am »

wget?

apemberton

« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2012, 10:31:08 am »

Possibly - Good thought. I said I had a mental blank.

Whats this with you disposing of your guruplugs and cuboxes? You have a shiny new supercomputer?  ;D
Tony Pemberton

PacoLM

« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2012, 02:09:52 pm »

Whats this with you disposing of your guruplugs and cuboxes? You have a shiny new supercomputer?  ;D

I have a Mini-ITX board with a quad core & Debian for the Zoneminder system. Also bought a Raspberry Pi and thinking in buying a Mele 1000. This is the reason I sell this wonderful devices, I have no more plugs to have them all connected, so selling some of them to pay the Mele device was an idea...

Regards!

PS: interested in any of them? ;)

apemberton

« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2012, 09:52:22 am »

Sorry Paco, I don't need Guruplugs (If I have a failure, I'll probably buy commercial routers). I'm not yet using Cuboxes for a serious project yet. I may use Tonidoplug for domestic email.

Thanks for the wget idea, it works reasonably well now after much tweaking of a cron job invoked bash script file. I can now track some temperatures generated by the Rpi's/DS18S20. The next step is to do similar for other Sheevaplugs (live and backup) to trigger events when temperature drops too low or rises too high to turn on radiator valves or fans through ethernet connected relay boards. Oh I love complication!

Tony Pemberton
Pages: [1]