New IT forum
10 August 2022, 11:51:29 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: MiraBox now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is the GuruPlug Plus worth it?  (Read 8803 times)

Burningchrome

Is the GuruPlug Plus worth it?
« on: 14 April 2010, 12:57:50 am »

I'm torn between which Guru plug to get. I want to have an always on media/bittorrent server but I'm also looking forward to a new piece of hardware to play around with. Is it possible to change the OS on the standard GP? I've also read that the JTAG breakout box is required to do any OS mods to either unit, is this the case? I am leaning towards the GP Plus but if the Jtag is required I don't know if its worth it. There seems to be very little info out there so I hope somebody posts a reply.
Cheers,
Chrome

Czayen

Re: Is the GuruPlug Plus worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2010, 11:48:31 am »

I'm torn between which Guru plug to get. I want to have an always on media/bittorrent server but I'm also looking forward to a new piece of hardware to play around with. Is it possible to change the OS on the standard GP? I've also read that the JTAG breakout box is required to do any OS mods to either unit, is this the case? I am leaning towards the GP Plus but if the Jtag is required I don't know if its worth it. There seems to be very little info out there so I hope somebody posts a reply.
Cheers,
Chrome

Well, having two Ethernet ports instead of just one gives you the possibility to make the plug a very advanced router, firewall, IDS, IPS etc.  system. In my opinion it is definitely worth going for the Plus version (I did, anyway ;) )

madman2003

« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2010, 12:57:12 pm »

I would take the plus version if you have need for the extra features, although it carries a price premium (an ethernet connector, an esata connector, microsd reader and some wiring don't match the price increase, remember that the "cpu" carries all this stuff already, just have to wire it up).

darek

« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2010, 01:58:46 pm »

Well, if You don't need second ethernet connector then it's not worth.
E-sata -> faster than usb, but I don't think than sheeva will carry such data load (it's too slow)
microsd -> what for? it could be nice to have linux distro on it but usb stick is cheaper and faster (at least in poland)

peter a

« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2010, 02:04:55 pm »

No the Esata is worth it.
It makes the sheevaplug much faster and frees up the usb port/s
Can you get 50-60 meg per second with a usb port ?

SRG

« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2010, 03:23:08 pm »

On my side, i really don't want to plug an USB hard drive on a computer like this (or maybe just a few time, but not all the time). What is the point to have a really small computer with nearly no wires and always have it run with an external HDD put next to it (maybe with 1 USB cable and 1 alimentation cable for a 3 1/2).

So the µSD slot is really usefull in my opinion.

But in the end, you're right, the total price GuruPlug+ *with* the JTAG board starts, eventually, to be not as cheap as it seems at the first look.

Burningchrome

« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2010, 12:26:08 am »

The discussion on eSATA leads to another question. I ran a little bandwidth test. I streamed a 720p movie over wifi from a usb drive connected to one of my laptops( don't knowhow accurate that was). It took a little longer to load but played fine.  Is eSATA a benefit other than just overall speed?
Also the GuruPlug, IMHO, has many functions. It would works awesome as, let's say a web server, with just an SDHC card. But I want it for a low power always on media/bittorrent  machine with a 1TB+ usb drive plugged. Either or. If you want a machine that's going do be on all the time you can't beat 5W.
The only thing I'm still not clear on is what I can do with just the Plug. Am I able to install alternate OS's or set up alternate OS's on individual SD's.
Thanks for all the input,
Chrome

peter a

« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2010, 07:56:03 am »

Am I able to install alternate OS's or set up alternate OS's on individual SD's.

If you can`t get to the serial without the JTAG, then it all depend on if they have set Uboot to multiboot.

Sorry , but apart from the lucky few we are all waiting to find out ourselves

apemberton

« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2010, 08:02:25 am »

The only thing I'm still not clear on is what I can do with just the Plug.

One thing I have in mind is to use a plug (it doesn't have to be a Guruplug as that is too powerful) is to run a web based home automation system. It would need a wireless access point for central heating controllers/sensors/radiator valves, smoke alarms, security cameras (though that might need a HDD for recording), PIR detectors for motion  and so on. The low power of the plug could be green and useful in an always-on system.

As I have also been tinkering with model railway control using SRCP protocol (not very successfully just yet), a plug might make a good routing controller without the need for a HDD.

I have an eSata Sheevaplug running Freeswitch 1.0.5 operating my home telephone system which is connected to two VoIP SIP providers. Shame my location precludes higher than 2Mbit/sec DSL and no cable which restricts the quality of speech to the outside world. Two others are running my DHCP/DNS servers and a fourth is monitoring (SNMP/MRTG) my network and servers.

I do worry about the peripheral power available (understandably low in such a small box) and the extra power needed to run USB hubs/ HDD's and so on which do not have easily read consumption figures. I would like to see the plug fitted into another form factor such that a 'plug processor could be co-located with a SSD/miniPCIe disk drive. (But then that might be an ARM based Netbook!) ;D

Tony Pemberton

Burningchrome

« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2010, 03:33:49 pm »

After some research I've decided to go for the GP Plus. As mentioned I'm after a low power bittorrent/media server and it seems the sentiment is that you can't efficiently stream HD over a wireless network. So my plan is to use one ethernet to jack into my router and the other into an ethernet media player (leaning towards the Asus O!Play). As it stands the only caveat is the audio. I have a set of 5.1 logitech speakers sans optical input and I will not be able to upgrade at this point. Probably a topic for another forum. Anyways cheers and happy uhhh plugging.
Chrome
Pages: [1]