New IT forum
27 June 2022, 11:07:48 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: MiraBox now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SSH problems after upgrade  (Read 8976 times)

lostinlinux

SSH problems after upgrade
« on: 10 November 2012, 05:18:47 pm »

I have had to re write my SD image download page, i used DD to set an image on to the card and after changing some settings for network addresses etc managed to successfully log in via SSH using the root user and password.
I then did apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade, Following a reboot, the device is still on the network (i can see it via my router) but i cannot connect via SSH (connection refused error) i have tried not running the update and the server work fine until i install the one piece of software i want to run (MOCP) when this installs i get the same problem.

This must be a simple setting somewhere or even a service that needs to be re referenced in some start up file, but not being a major expert i need some help

any ideas folks

kengolfer

Re: SSH problems after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2012, 07:05:27 am »

I have just gone through exactly the same process and got the same result. I logged in via jtag and noticed an ssh mismatch. I decided just to reflash the image and start again and not bother with the upgrade as I probably don't need it. I did find this link which mentions the issue - don't know if it resolves it though. Hope this helps.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10326026/ssh-compatibility-issue-with-git

Ken

kengolfer

« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2012, 10:54:14 am »

Okay!

Have just hit the same issue again!

This time went in via JTAG and ran :

sudo apt-get install openssh-server openssh-client

All fixed.

Ken 

lostinlinux

« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2012, 06:16:44 am »

Ken,

Worked a treat, i simply done apt-get install openssh-server openssh-client after my apt-get upgrade and apt-get install moc and before my reboot, i was then able to reboot the system and it continues to work now

Thanks very much

graemev

« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2012, 05:30:49 pm »

I'm guessing this is because your host key no longer matched?
In which case just regenerating it should be enough ?

(dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server  ... I  think?)

Which suggests key is somehow related to hardware ... e.g. the card ? ... hum interesting ... just about to clone a card ... guess I'll hit this soon enough

lostinlinux

« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2012, 09:22:41 pm »

Gents,
Ive had some difficulty backing up an image from the card, ive used DD to back this to a file, but when i re write this to the card it doesnt work, are there some additional setting (eg BS=512) when writing the card to an image file ie should i use the same copy options to write the image as i do to write the image to the card

graemev

« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2012, 10:03:26 pm »

After that post I did a dd from the 16Gb Integral onto a no-name 32gb (micro) SD card

1: I did this in a different (Ubuntu) computer (2stage process as I used a single USB reader)

dd bs=1M if=/dev/sdd of=dreamplug-16Gb-card-post-osz-crash
dd bs=1M if=dreamplug-16Gb-card-post-osz-crash of=/dev/sdd

Worked fine. Only thing was I needed to power off the Dreamplug, a simple reboot was not enough , it seemed to
just reboot from he internal SD card ... which it had been running from while I had the card out.

PierreR

« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2014, 09:24:43 pm »

Same issue here after I upgrade from Debian 7.0 to 7.3 (I have been using http://downloadsnewit.co.uk/SD-images/Dreamplug/NewIT-Dreamplug-Debian-Wheezy/)

Unfortunately I don't have a JTAG ... So I have 2 open port 9000 and 9090 (zeus-admin).

Is there anyway I can fix this easily ? I can have access to the file system if I take the external SSD card into another computer but I cannot issue any command (except if I do a "change root" I guess).

EDIT: well, I have just realized that "chroot" might be difficult because obviously the other computer has not the same architecture ...

Thanks,

« Last Edit: 31 January 2014, 09:50:11 pm by PierreR »

graemev

« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2014, 10:44:46 pm »

pop the card, boot from internal, ssh onto that,  then plug the card back .... you'll be on same architecture then?

PierreR

« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2014, 11:01:48 pm »

Thanks.

Haven't thought about that ...

Nevertheless I have actually found another simpler way to resolve my problem. I have just used the 'init_setup.sh' file from /root ... So I have inserted temporally "apt-get install -y openssh-server openssh-client".

And it's back to normal.
Pages: [1]