New IT forum
10 August 2022, 10:31:30 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Auto on feature (resume on power)?  (Read 5090 times)

sdaau

Auto on feature (resume on power)?
« on: 27 April 2010, 07:46:25 am »

Hi all,

I am interested in the Guru plug, as I can see it advertised working in 6W-8W power consumption and it has slots for microSD (the Sheeva plug, as I've seen uses slightly bit more power, and does not havve microSD slots).

What I'm mostly interested in is - is there something like an automatic on feature (that is, the PC would automatically boot as soon as power is present?)

I have found these three posts that indicate that should be a setting in BIOS for platforms that support something like that (typically called "Restore from AC power loss"):

Resume After Powerfailure Mod : Power Management problems - Wim's ...

[ubuntu] Power on AC resume BIOS feature - - Ubuntu Forums

Ways to Auto-Boot Up computer after power outage? [Archive] - AnandTech Forums

Does the Guru (or Sheeva) plug have this functionality?

In addition, a small off topic question - does the Guru-plug (or Sheeva) have possibilities to install SSD disk (I think I'll be happy with microSD, but just wanted to ask) ...

Thanks in advance for any answers,

Cheers!

peter a

Re: Auto on feature (resume on power)?
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2010, 08:00:19 am »

The Sheevaplug and Guru plug are always on devices !!!!!
There is no on or off switch , the second you apply power it starts .
If the power goes off and back on , it will restart again , there is no way to stop it.
The only thing is that the file system could go wrong and the plug may be powered up, but waiting for the file system to be fixed.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2010, 10:32:21 am by peter a »

sdaau

« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2010, 08:13:33 am »

Hi peter a,

Thanks for your quick reply!

The Sheevaplug and Guru plug are always on devices !!!!!
There is no or off switch , the second you apply power it starts .
If the power goes off and back on , it will restart again , there is no way to stop it.
The only thing is that the file system could go wrong and the plug may be powered up, but waiting for the file system to be fixed.

Great - I didn't know this, as I still haven't even seen a Sheeva or a Guru plug live (I'm still planning on getting one) ... But great to have this piece of info...

Thanks,
Cheers!

alfon

« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2010, 10:55:31 am »

Welcome to the world of plugs!

I am interested in the Guru plug, as I can see it advertised working in 6W-8W power consumption and it has slots for microSD (the Sheeva plug, as I've seen uses slightly bit more power,

I am not aware of a difference in power consumption between the Sheeva and Guru plugs. Is this documented somewhere?
If anything, I would expect the Guruplugs to consume MORE power, with the Wifi, bluetooth etc (although it may be possible to disable those devices and save on power as well as radiation). Also, I understand the typical power consumption of a Sheeva plug is around 5W, although this varies depending on the attached devices, and even on processor use.

and does not have microSD slots).

This is true of the Guruplug plus (I understand the Guruplug standard doesn't have a micro-SD slot?), on the other hand, the Sheeva plugs have standard SD ports, instead of micro-SD ones.

In addition, a small off topic question - does the Guru-plug (or Sheeva) have possibilities to install SSD disk (I think I'll be happy with microSD, but just wanted to ask) ...

Thanks in advance for any answers,

Cheers!

Most, if not all, SSD disks have a SATA2 interface. You can therefore attach them to a plug using an external SATA2 to USB enclosure. SSD disks draw little power, so you won't need a powered enclosure. The cheaper enclosures are apparently SATA, not SATA2 compatible, which should mean a performance penalty. On the other hand, if you get a plug with e-Sata, you may opt to go for an external e-sata enclosure instead (which should be faster) - that one should probably have its own power. If the reason you are considering an SSD instead of an HD is performance, you should probably go for e-Sata instead of USB.

Whatever the case, make sure you study carefully your options and pick the plug that best fits your needs.

In short yes, it can be done, just be prepared to shell out for the enclosure too.

best regards,
Alf
Pages: [1]