New IT forum
27 June 2022, 12:38:39 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DreamPlug 0601A model  (Read 7000 times)

mikepham

DreamPlug 0601A model
« on: 17 December 2012, 04:41:30 am »

I have a pair of DreamPlug devices, both are listed as being the 0601A variant. On the main board, it's listed as the V6R1 version. Do any of the images available on this site work on this particular version?

Thanks in advance!

Confusticated

• New IT customer
Re: DreamPlug 0601A model
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2012, 09:34:43 pm »

The DreamPlug model number is part of the serial number on the back of the plug.
On the white label printed beneath the two MAC ID's there should be a string like the following:

DS2-XXYY-000123

XX - is the Model#, YY - is the Revision#, the following 6 digits are the unique manufacturing serial number.
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

mikepham

« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2012, 03:26:12 am »

Thanks for the reply, but now I am even more confused. LOL

So, the sticker on the underside of the board and the backside of the device shows this:
DS2-1108-000XXX and then followed by: 0601A 0101A

So based on your scheme, the Model# is 11 and Revision 08. On the download page for the SD images, it lists either 0801/0802 and 0901/1001. Which model would this bee? Also, are the images safe for me to use?

Thanks again for the quick reply!

NewIT_Malcolm

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2012, 03:07:42 pm »

DS2-XXYY-000123

XX - is the Model#, YY - is the Revision#, the following 6 digits are the unique manufacturing serial number.

Not quite.

XX is year of Mfr, YY is Week of Mfr.

The Model No/revision is the top 4 digit code printed on the right side of the white label. Should be 0801,0802,0901 or 1001.

If your's is 0601 then that's not one we have come across.

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2012, 06:54:58 pm »

Thanks for the correction - that flies in the face of the documentation I have from Globalscale, but that it is erroneous does not surprise me, not one of the schema's has proved to be correct either.

The Hardware version screen printed onto the PCB of the plug I have in front of me is

Dream_Plug_V6R1

Any guesses how that relates to the marketing Model\Revision numbers anybody ?

PS. there is an 1001N that has NAND instead of SPI flash.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2012, 07:17:50 pm by Confusticated »
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

mikepham

« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2012, 11:40:11 pm »

Confusticated, my PCB has the same thing printed on the underside as yours: Dream_Plug_V6R1. The sticker on the back and the sticker on the inside has 0601A and 0101A. Now, I bought this and another when they were first announced so the hardware goes back aways. But I don't want to futz with the images until I can know if they are safe and sadly, without a JTAG there's no way to know. Guess I'll be waiting on my JTAG. :(

Also, GlobalScale's site has been down all weekend for me but it seems back up again. I'll try contacting their support for more info and report back when (IF) I hear anything back.

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2012, 08:35:40 pm »

Thanks for that info, now just need to determine if anyone has a different PCB screen printing to find out if Globalscale actually update it.
Interesting that yours also has 0601A, looks like there is a pre 0801 model in the wild.

don't want to futz with the images
Thats what SDHC's are for, I 'futz' with mine about once a fortnight, if I mess it up I switch back to the previously backed up image version and start again :)

without a JTAG
Everything (except live debugging) can now be done over a serial connection. I am sure that even if you did trash 'u-boot' and brick it that NewIT could flash it back to life (for a fee) if you couldn't.

EmJayArr

« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2013, 04:34:48 pm »

I have the model described as well. I seem to have quite a few issues that I'm unable to pin down, even with the factory image.  :-\ I just upgraded to the Denx u-boot found at http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2835.0.html hoping that might help matters.

EDIT: Couldn't get past loading the kernel with the Denx u-boot. U-Boot 2011.06-02334-g8f495d9-dirty (Mar 28 2011 - 05:21:06) from http://code.google.com/p/dreamplug/downloads/detail?name=dream_burn_spi.tar.bz2 at least boots, but I still get kernel oopses & panicking with both the SD card that I got with the unit & backed up, the "fixed" factory image, and the GuiPlug image. Anyone else have greater success with this model?

EDIT x2: Updated to U-Boot 2011.12 (Mar 11 2012 - 18:50:54) from http://cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/uboot-upgrade/ and kernel 3.3 from http://www.spinifex.com.au/plugs/downloads/dreamplug/kernel/ and all issues seem to be corrected. Yay!

EDIT x3: Never mind. Everything crashes relatively quickly no matter what: factory image, NewIT images, Fedora 18 (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/F18/GuruPlug), etc. regardless of combinations. As a last hope, I purchased a highly rated SD card from NewIT hoping it was something wrong with the three SD cards I tried. My Dreamplug is quickly becoming a candidate for detonation.  >:(
« Last Edit: 16 June 2013, 11:24:27 pm by EmJayArr »
Pages: [1]