New IT forum
27 June 2022, 12:28:21 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: MiraBox now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: HDD Errors  (Read 7952 times)

apemberton

HDD Errors
« on: 31 December 2012, 03:06:54 pm »

I am getting hard disk errors including sometimes bad writes. I am running my compiled kernel 3.6.10 with the Marvell Sata configured to be loaded in the kernel rather than as a module. Below is a typical error reported in 'dmesg':-

Code: [Select]
ata2: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x180000 action 0x6 frozen
ata2: edma_err_cause=02000020 pp_flags=00000003, SError=00180000
ata2: SError: { 10B8B Dispar }
ata2: hard resetting link
ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl F310)
ata2.00: configured for UDMA/133
ata2: EH complete

Any idea what is causing this? I note that sometimes instead of 1.5Gbps, the link comes up as 3 Gbps tough the drive is suitable for 3 Gbps, viz:-

Code: [Select]
ata2: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x100000 action 0x6 frozen
ata2: edma_err_cause=00000020 pp_flags=00000003, SError=00100000
ata2: SError: { Dispar }
ata2: hard resetting link
ata2: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl F300)
ata2.00: configured for UDMA/133
ata2: EH complete

Disk is a new 3.5" 1Tb formatted with a small 64Mb ext2 /dev/sda1 and the rest as /dev/sda2.

The kernel was downloaded from kernel.org and patches as per cbxbiker's mods. Then used 'make oldconfig' to bring into line then 'make menuconfig' to change the Sata module from <M> to <*>. Are there known bugs for armel implementation?

I am having similar issues with a Guruplug disk so that makes me wonder if there is a kernel issue.

Tony Pemberton

Confusticated

• New IT customer
Re: HDD Errors
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2012, 07:32:38 pm »

I believe the two most common causes of SATA problems to be bad cable\connector or power supply issues.
I can only suggest that you rule those two out before putting in further effort.
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

apemberton

« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2013, 11:46:33 am »

No it ain't bad connections or power supply. I am certain of that. I also see there are quite a few recent threads with similar problems although most seem to be to mmc or mtd probs.

I am doing various tests when time permits to delve into causes, hence the detail of errors in the snippets below. The key thing is an explanation of what the shortform errors actually mean in practice and thus track down the source.

My disk (or sdhc) i/o errors seem not to be restricted to Sheeva/Guruplugs, my Rpi's seem to have similar probs. My running cubox has some i/o errors though probably not related.

I am beginning to think there are timing problems with arm implementations of 3.x.x kernels especially after the death of the 'ata' maintainer.
Tony Pemberton

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2013, 09:07:08 pm »

an explanation of what the shortform errors actually mean in practice

Dispar = disparity

My interpretation goes something along the lines of 'the controller is in a conflicted state (has received conflicting options\settings)'.
One cause could be corruption of the data link (an iffy SATA cable, hence my earlier post).

NB. I am not an ATA Interface expert, this advice is free, that's it's only value.
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

apemberton

« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2013, 06:36:03 pm »

Although I havn't fixed my sheevaplugs showing problems yet, I have discovered that similar HDD errors on my Guruplugs have been cured by a complete software rebuild/clean install. It seems that somewhere along the way there are some compatibility issues between the newish 3.6.10 kernel and some of the Debian which has been regularly upgraded. Once I have rebuilt the sheevaplugs with a completely new Debian installation (and new RTC batteries) and run them for a while, I will report back.
Tony Pemberton

apemberton

« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2013, 11:05:08 am »

I have compiled kernel 3.7.2 and am now running it on my development sheevaplug. It has been running error free for 24 hours but I will give it a week of error free service before trying to deploy it on production units. I am increasingly thinking there may be a bug with some 3.6 kernels when writing eSata. Time will tell.
Tony Pemberton
Pages: [1]