New IT forum
22 June 2018, 12:02:20 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: MiraBox now in stock.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Guruplug overheating?  (Read 71497 times)

alessio

Guruplug overheating?
« on: 15 May 2010, 04:46:16 pm »

While I am eagerly waiting for my Guruplug to arrive,
I am reading horror stories at plugcomputer.org forum.
There have been many reports about overheating.

http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1638

Dear NewIT, altough I am desperate to finally get my hands
on the Guruplug, I would strongly prefer if you could test
few GPs when they arrive and try to resolve any problems with GS
before dispatching them to us. Or at least I would prefer so.

I would gladly wait additional week(s) instead of sending the device
back to you in few days after receiving it.

So, NewIT, could you please test few devices? I guess they will be
coming from the same batch and the overheating problem should
be evident soon, if there really is such a problem.

Thank you!

~Aleš

NewIT_Marcus

Re: Guruplug overheating?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2010, 10:05:57 pm »

We have been assured that the power supply in our units are the "new and improved ones".

peter a

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2010, 10:22:37 pm »

It may be a different power supply unit, but from the people who already have their Guruplugs it is reported that their plugs are getting very hot.

http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1638.0
« Last Edit: 15 May 2010, 10:40:19 pm by peter a »

henk55

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2010, 12:08:16 pm »

I've ordered at forehand a 5Volt 3Amps SMPS, if my sheevaplug, and later, the Guruplug should give any power problems in the future.

alessio

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2010, 05:27:58 pm »

We have been assured that the power supply in our units are the "new and improved ones".

As an electronics engineer, I know a bit about power supplies.
I would be most intersted what has been changed or what does
actually mean "new and improved".

I have been looking for schematics of GuruPlug, but haven't found it.
If anybody has a link to such a document, I would be very grateful.

I've ordered at forehand a 5Volt 3Amps SMPS, if my sheevaplug, and later, the Guruplug should give any power problems in the future.

Do you intend to replace AC/DC module? Did you measure the output voltage from this module on SheevaPlug?
I don't have SheevaPlug, but I saw pictures that the plugs probably use 3rd party AC/DC modules. These modules are not drawn
on SheevaPlug schematics and maybe are a reason for concern... I don't know yet, I have to get my hands on GP.
I certainly intend to disassemble it as soon as it arrives.

peter a

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2010, 06:33:05 pm »

To me I think the problem is a matter of size, If you are limited to the size you can make the power supply unit in, you may have to cut corners to make it that size, if you use a internal power supply which is not intended to fit within that limited size you should be able to make a better power supply unit.
To me a well regulated 5 volt psu which can deliver the right amperage is equal to any other well regulated 5 volt psu which can deliver the right amperage.   

briaeros007

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2010, 06:54:14 pm »

To me a well regulated 5 volt psu which can deliver the right amperage is equal to any other well regulated 5 volt psu which can deliver the right amperage.   
I don't agree with this.

How well your psu work if you've got interference in your 220v/110v ?
How well your psu work if you've got some more amperage (for example, a spin up disk in the usb)
How well the voltage is stabilised, on charge and off charge ? (did you get 6v when you use it at 25% of it's capacity ?)
How well the voltage is regulated ?(did you get exactly 5.00v or 4.97 or 6.5 ?)
What if, in addition to your DC 5v/1A (for example) you've also got some 40khz ? (can be present with a switched-mode power supply. With a "simple" alim, it's really difficult to suppress completly the 50hz.)
Or if the capacitor isn't big enough and your voltage is always between 5.1 and 4.9 v, but never stable?
how well your psu react to external condition (voltage drop, or raise. heating trouble which can cause some deviation in an voltage/amperage/noise correction)

There is a reason why you can found 600W PC-psu at 40€, or 150€.
And when you have already lost two hard disk, and practically a motherboard, you think that a psu IS a main part of your pc.
(I think i've put more bucks in my PSU than in my memory (8Gb ECC))

Taillo

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2010, 08:01:27 pm »

It's right !

peter a

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2010, 08:20:02 pm »

I will give you that one with computer power supplies; I`ve had so many intermittent faults which in the end turn out to be the power supply unit.

BUT I still think the problem with the sheevaplugs and guruplugs are down to the limited size  

henk55

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2010, 10:01:33 pm »

As an electronics engineer

Do you intend to replace AC/DC module?

Engineer oh yes I have a bench with a Digital Memory Scope.

Well if any power supply smell like smoke, I'll change the PS to it, and guess what I odered the right one!

Look at postings;
http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1318.0

Written in Dutch;

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/33946602#33946602

I've only a USB-stick plugged in, but I'll think when we have a hot summer how much it warm up more?

lou1z

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2010, 03:15:52 am »

serious stuff..... without scaring anybody, could these little things be liable to contribute towards a house fire? i mean, are they really safe?

SRG

« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2010, 04:43:37 pm »

Wow, the thread linked above is really creepy ...
It seems that there is 2 problems : a) the plug is getting really hot, and b) is rebooting as soon as it is wired at 1Gb/s ethernet ...
Are both of these problems adressed by the "new" power supply ?

vodnik

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2010, 02:26:47 pm »

I don't think so, the PSU does not get that warm at all, it's the system board that is getting so hot. People have disassembled the GuruPlug and added better heatsinks which both fixed the Gbit ethernet reboot problem and voided the warranty.

Forcing it to use 100mbit ethernet will make it usable, disabling the WLAN and using a 110hz converter lowers temperature another tiny bit but it still gets really hot.
I still would not dare to use USB, eSata, WLAN, eth0, eth1 and the SD reader all at once.

varkey

« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2010, 06:10:30 am »

Same issue here. Overheating and reboot when connected to Gbit Network. On 100mbit working fine but still gets hot.

alessio

« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2010, 07:56:45 am »

Same issue here. Overheating and reboot when connected to Gbit Network. On 100mbit working fine but still gets hot.

Hm, when did you receive your GP?

Do you know if you have a version with the new "improved" power supply?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7