New IT forum
22 June 2018, 12:01:27 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: GertDuino now in stock.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Guruplug overheating?  (Read 71496 times)

darek

Re: Guruplug overheating?
« Reply #30 on: 30 May 2010, 10:40:41 am »

Well, if my Guruplug overheats i wan't my money back. I don't need useless box in my home. I'll buy used rack serwer for little more. Maybe more power consumption and noiser but it won't burn

Taillo

« Reply #31 on: 30 May 2010, 11:28:34 am »

FYI, mine is on since yesterday afternoon with ethernet & wifi, and a USB hard drive. It is warm, but away from my burning hands on it.

in 230V@50Hz.

lettuja

« Reply #32 on: 30 May 2010, 12:25:53 pm »

Is the overheating issue only with the plus version or with both? ???

Mine is plus and it gets burning hot without anything connected. :(
« Last Edit: 30 May 2010, 12:29:23 pm by lettuja »

Cloaked Alien

« Reply #33 on: 30 May 2010, 12:42:01 pm »

Mine is a Plus, I've turned off both Wlan and Bluetooth

Yesterday I slaughtered a couple of unusued stock intel cpu fans and hung them up above my Slug and GuruPlug. I have my setup on the shelf in my hallway, behind a door. The fans are running at low RPM to not create any noise.

Believe it or not but the slight circulation actually helps a lot, the plug is cooler now than my ADSL modem =)

henk55

« Reply #34 on: 30 May 2010, 01:03:43 pm »

Nice!

But if you place the GuruPlug upside dowm so, that de vetilation holes are at the top, then you avoid the hot spots on the topside!

Cloaked Alien

« Reply #35 on: 30 May 2010, 01:16:04 pm »

Nice!

But if you place the GuruPlug upside dowm so, that de vetilation holes are at the top, then you avoid the hot spots on the topside!

Thanks!

What ventilation holes? You mean the Ethernet/USB-ports? Yeah, well, I thought about that since I know that the plates around the ethernet ports can get very not, but I want to preserve at least some aesthetics ^^

lettuja

« Reply #36 on: 30 May 2010, 08:56:36 pm »

Can anyone confirm that normal GuruPlug gets also burning hot? :-\

trampjuice

« Reply #37 on: 30 May 2010, 10:31:21 pm »

From reading around on the plugcomputer forum

I believe the main design flaws are;
1 .The 800Mhz memory chips and SOC (system on a chip) areas don't have a decent heatsink or venting.
2. The Guruplug uses a stacked sandwich board design - both the Guruplug standard and the Guruplug plus.
3. The more elements crammed into the case the hotter it gets (i.e. Guruplug Plus)

This implies the problems of overheating affect both Guruplug standard and plus, but the plus will run hotter.

http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1735.45
"From what I have read, (I do not have a Guruplug), the Guruplug problem is that the temperature of the SOC and memory chips rises above their reliable operating point (they are commercial spec devices 0-70 deg C range), due to an inadequate heatsink and no way to vent the heat from the internals of the case. The more elements you use in the device the hotter it gets. There also appears to be driver issues which cause the ethernet physicals to run hot, which makes it worse.  Obviously the power supply heat will also contribute to the problem.   The Guruplug has a different layout to the Sheevaplug, in that there is an extra board in the Guru, and the whole thing is stacked up in a sandwich."

Therefore - Hanging the fans above is likely not going to be a reliable form of heat dissapation, as things such as room temp. rising coupled with the internal hotspot problems will likely lead to failure at some point. You are sill faced with the dilemma of opening the unit and voiding the warranty to ensure decent dissapation.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2010, 01:50:49 pm by trampjuice »

henk55

« Reply #38 on: 30 May 2010, 10:48:19 pm »

Can anyone confirm that normal GuruPlug gets also burning hot? :-\

You'll could burn your finger at the usb-port shell, so it's hot!

I checked the data sheet of the Kirkwood cpu.
I measure just about 60? at top of the cooling plate in free air (from the posting above),
the C/W value of the Kirkwood is about 20 C/W meaning that for every watt consumption the cpu itself heaten up 20?,
in my case, room temperature was about 20? the cpu adds 40? until 60? (in free air, without any airflow, so no fan is used) so the cpu eats 2watt!
and it does nothing special at that moment just sort of stand-by.
If you connect something to the sata-port or usb-port than the current increase further more and the dissipation in watt's!

If you running some app's then the dissipations can be (much) higher

The problem is, the GuruPlug-box is (as shipped) closed, the C/W could be much higher then 20 C/W
because there isn't free air surrounded.
When it come's to 125? then the cpu could be stressed forever, and dies!

lettuja

« Reply #39 on: 31 May 2010, 06:20:40 am »

NewIT guys, what should we do with these poorly designed, manufactured and shipped products?  ??? :'(

IF GlobalScale will do something to correct these problems in future revisions I really would like to see PROOF PHOTOS!

What is this bullshit from GlobalScale website? >:( ???:

"Design Services
Globalscale Technologies has an experience team of seasoned Electronic, Mechanical, Hardware, Software and ID design engineers. Our team always ensures the best selection of components/materials with prompt turn-around to bring the product to market. Our full spectrum of design capabilities can accommodate the requirements from RF devices to high speed circuitry.

"
FAIL!

"
Manufacturing
We offer full turnkey solutions for all your manufacturing needs. We have an extensive client portfolio and so we can meet the most stringent requirements associated with the Aerospace, Automotive, Medical, Telecommunication and Consumer/Industrial Products industries.

"
FAIL x2!

"
Logistics
We can have your finished products shipped directly to your markets. Our warehouses and storage facilities are strategically situated in several global locations, to ensure your product is shipped economically and expediently.

"

FAIL x3!

trampjuice

« Reply #40 on: 31 May 2010, 08:27:50 am »

Apparently this is the sort of heatsink needed without a fan! The Bottom board with all the ICs, memory and chips is where the heat problem is - not the PSU.

darek

« Reply #41 on: 31 May 2010, 09:04:07 am »

You can place Your GP in frigde :P

trampjuice

« Reply #42 on: 31 May 2010, 11:50:54 am »

The Guruplug plus will have to be modified like the picture above with a decent heatsink and paste if you intend to run it IMO in order to prevent it doing this :

joell

« Reply #43 on: 31 May 2010, 04:59:24 pm »

Room temperature: 25°C

Top of the plug: 47°C
Bottom: 58°C
sides: 60-70°C !!

I'm using the EU power kit. So the input voltage is around AC 230v and  frequency is 50Hz.

I don't have a suitable thermometer but by hand I can confirm my plug is running as hot as Epeli's. The metallic plates around Ethernet jacks are burning my fingers. So It gets around 60 degrees Celsius WHEN RUNNING IDLE!
I don't even bother to start the CPU stress test Epeli has posted or I have to call the fire service...

How this thing can be even imported inside EU if it gets this hot in normal use. There's a CE mark, but does it guarantee anything?

joell

« Reply #44 on: 31 May 2010, 07:33:50 pm »

Intermediate report: After being powered but idle for 2 hours, my plug hasn't exploded yet, it "just" smells bad and runs extremely hot. I can connect to my plug via ssh and it still responds to ping.

I'm going to ask for refund or cancellation of my purcase. Has New IT anything to say? Me and probably tens of others are planning to return this device. Does New IT or Globalscale have any working units without any overheating problems?

A question to New IT: This product has only 30 days guarantee and we as customers need to act quickly. I'm asking if it is possible to keep these flawed units until you have a new version with better air ventilation and then exchange broken units to working ones without any expenses? Or, is it better to return the device now and wait months for a working one?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7