New IT forum
27 June 2022, 11:37:11 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: PiHub now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy on White Sheevaplug  (Read 10741 times)

manscher

Upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy on White Sheevaplug
« on: 11 April 2013, 09:22:47 pm »

In an attempt to solve my problems with a large disk and GPT support, I have tried to upgrade to Wheezy to get a newer kernel. I followed this guide (including kernel upgrade by apt-get install linux-image-kirkwood and apt-get install udev), and everything seems to have worked quite well, except that the system is still booting the old kernel (I believe that I boot from the SD card). I am unfamiliar with boot loaders (to be honest I'm unsure which one the Sheevaplug is using), but I have these file in the root of the SD card (other files removed for readability):

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     root          33 apr 11 21:38 initrd.img -> /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-kirkwood
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     root          29 apr 11 21:38 vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-kirkwood

My /boot directory contains:

# ls /boot
config-3.2.0-4-kirkwood  initrd.img-3.2.0-4-kirkwood  System.map-3.2.0-4-kirkwood  vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-kirkwood

However, I am still getting the old kernel:

# uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.30.2 #11 PREEMPT Wed Jul 22 19:53:31 MDT 2009 armv5tel GNU/Linux

Only errors I can see are these from the udev installation, which I don't fully understand:
<snip>
Preparing to replace udev 175-7.1 (using .../udev_175-7.1_armel.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement udev ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up udev (175-7.1) ...
udev requires a kernel >= 2.6.32, not started.
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-kirkwood
cryptsetup: WARNING: could not determine root device from /etc/fstab
</snip>

The last one seems to be a bug; I don't have any encrypted devices. The first seems to need a newer kernel.

What am I missing here? Am I booting from NAND without knowing it? Is there some configuration of the boot loader that is missing? Do I need the udev installation to finish? (in which case I have a catch-22 situation)

Update: Plug is a multiboot using uboot; seems I am booting from SD card. This thread seems to suggest that I need to access the first partition and put the kernel image there. Should my fstab list the boot device for the kernel update to work? (The thread suggest that it's the first partition on SD card). My fstab now looks like this:

/dev/sda2       swap    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda4       /root   ext3    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda7       /home   ext3    defaults        0 0
« Last Edit: 12 April 2013, 03:54:54 am by manscher »

manscher

Re: Upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy on White Sheevaplug
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2013, 04:37:18 pm »

OK, found the problem. Was not aware that uImage resides on the first partition on the SD card (/dev/mmcblk0p1), and that installation of a new kernel with apt-get does not update this. (This got me caught in a trap, since after rebooting the udev version did not match the kernel version and thus I could not access /dev/mmcblk0p1 to update the kernel). It seems what I should have done was to mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 and copy the new uImage there. In my case I would have had to convert the vmlinuz file to uImage, which I googled can be done like this (haven't tried it, though).

mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x80008000 -e 0x80008000 -n "Linux" -d ./vmlinuz-* ./uImage

Maybe /dev/mmcblk0p1 needs to be mounted as /boot for apt-get install linux-image-kirkwood to work? Didn't get any error messages, though, and there was no uImage in the root or in /boot.

Martin

ghat

« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2014, 03:27:22 am »

hi

so are you now stably running debian wheezy with kernel 3.2.0-4 on this box ?

I plan to buy one, I want it to work with debian stable (wheezy) with the latest stable kernel...

Did you need to upgrade the uboot ?

G

manscher

« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2014, 09:06:29 am »

so are you now stably running debian wheezy with kernel 3.2.0-4 on this box ?

Yes, the current debian version has been running stable as a rock since installing (debian 7.2 is wheezy)

$ cat /etc/debian_version
$ uname -sr
Linux 3.4.4

Did you need to upgrade the uboot ?

I don't thing it was ever came to that, because the upgrade attempt described above screwed up my config. I put a new image on the SD card (which of course meant that I had to redo my config of the whole system, but that was mostly OK since /root and /home was on an external HDD). Since you're going to start from scratch(?), you shouldn't have problems, just buy the Sheevaplug with a wheezy image http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/All-SheevaPlug/SheevaPlugs/Sheeva-Multi-Boot or download a wheezy image from  http://www.downloadsnewit.co.uk/SD-images/Sheevaplug/all/, and then in both cases do

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

You should be careful about using the last one; I once used Ubuntu and mistakenly upgraded to an Ubuntu version that didn't have ARM support.

Martin
Pages: [1]