New IT forum
12 August 2022, 03:14:58 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Getting started with the Guruplug  (Read 21327 times)

NewIT_Marcus

Getting started with the Guruplug
« on: 24 May 2010, 11:37:06 pm »

The Guruplug package doesn't include any documentation as such, except this link:

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-downloads.aspx

The key download is found by clicking on GuruPlug - Quick Start Guide and others, and then choosing the Quickstart .pdf file.

This document describes the procedure for connecting to your Sheevaplug (ie via console, using the JTAG and cables), and access to the Bluetooth and wi-fi configuration.

So far the only useful information I can impart is that my old cu connection method (running under Ubuntu Lucid Lynx) doesn't work with the Guruplug, but minicom does work, as described in the aforementioned .pdf document (although the doc advises Fedora).

I am assuming that if I figure out the appropriate settings I could go back to cu, and the other issue I'll be looking at to begin with is network configuration. The ex-factory configuration clashes with a device already on my network (and I don't know what is going on with eth0 and eth1), so (for me) networking is a critical starting point that needs resolution.

The Guruplug excels itself with its looks, even the JTAG looks nice, but the connecting wires are fiddly and untidy. Do read the .pdf for instructions on how to connect things.

I don't know what is the fastest deliveries we have been seeing (to mainland Europe), if it is one or two days, either way it's not long to wait now.

ayeomans

Re: Getting started with the Guruplug
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2010, 04:18:15 pm »

Minicom works fine with Ubuntu. There's no need to separately install the FTDI device driver, at least with Ubuntu 10.4 (Lucid), it just works out the box. But you do need the extra JTAG adaptor for this method.

The easiest way to get started is to connect via 802.11b/g wireless, and then do
  ssh 192.168.1.1 -l root
with password "nosoup4u",  as well as browsing to http://192.168.1.1/
But of course, that doesn't give you boot messages.

sk.akties

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2010, 07:36:33 am »

[...]
The Guruplug excels itself with its looks, even the JTAG looks nice, but the connecting wires are fiddly and untidy. Do read the .pdf for instructions on how to connect things.

I did not receive mine yet but I read on another forum that the cables are fragile:
http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1687.0

Do you or GS plan to replace the cables when they break within a certain time frame?

henk55

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2010, 09:34:35 pm »

I followed this advise on the Plug Computer Forum and I can confirmed that it still work with Putty on XP-PC,
if you made some changes, explained here:

http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1679.0

briaeros007

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2010, 07:12:00 pm »

Minicom works fine with Ubuntu. There's no need to separately install the FTDI device driver, at least with Ubuntu 10.4 (Lucid), it just works out the box. But you do need the extra JTAG adaptor for this method.

The easiest way to get started is to connect via 802.11b/g wireless, and then do
  ssh 192.168.1.1 -l root
with password "nosoup4u",  as well as browsing to http://192.168.1.1/
But of course, that doesn't give you boot messages.

For the driver, you just need to have it compile into your kernel, which is done in most of the distirbution.
If it's not, you need to enable this
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO=y

eyal

« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2010, 01:28:30 pm »

I have a serious problem with the JTAG connection, maybe one of you guys encountered it before.
When I connect the RS232 cable to the Guruplug everything's fine. When I connect the JTAG connector all the leds except for the power immediately turn off. Is this normal?
I still didn't manage to connect using Putty, and I think that I may have a faulty unit :-(

Eyal

NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2010, 04:23:14 pm »

I have a serious problem with the JTAG connection, maybe one of you guys encountered it before.
When I connect the RS232 cable to the Guruplug everything's fine. When I connect the JTAG connector all the leds except for the power immediately turn off. Is this normal?
I still didn't manage to connect using Putty, and I think that I may have a faulty unit :-(

Eyal

It's probably normal. When the JTAG unit and leads are all connected, only the power light illuminates. When typing characters into a working minicom connection, the yellow and blue lights may flicker (in response to each keypress).

mabuhay

• myownhomeserver.ch
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2010, 12:24:13 pm »

@eyal: I don't think it is normal that if you plug in the JTAG, that all other LED's except the power LED turn off. Try to plug in everything, als the USB to your computer, before you start your GuruPlug. As soon as you connected your JTAG-board with your computer, you should be able to open the communication (at least minicom works that way and shows a welcome message). Then plug in your GuruPlug and see if you can see the boot process.

[EDIT] umm, are we talking about the same? are you talking about the LED's on the JTAG-board or the ones on the GuruPlug?
« Last Edit: 13 June 2010, 12:26:34 pm by mabuhay »
My low-power homeserver with the GuruPlug Server Plus: www.myownhomeserver.ch

NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2010, 07:34:28 am »

[EDIT] umm, are we talking about the same? are you talking about the LED's on the JTAG-board or the ones on the GuruPlug?

I have described the lights on the JTAG.

mabuhay

• myownhomeserver.ch
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2010, 11:50:41 am »

I have described the lights on the JTAG.
Yes, I know, but when I read the post of eyal I thought he/she is talking about the lights on the GuruPlug.
My low-power homeserver with the GuruPlug Server Plus: www.myownhomeserver.ch

eyal

« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2010, 06:14:22 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for the answers so far.
The problem still persists though... I followed all of the instructions on how to connect to device with the JTAG board, yet still no success.
The windows drivers look fine, the virtual ports are configured to 115200, the rx/tx lights on the jtag board light up when I'm typing in the open Putty session, yet nothing from the device itself. Anyone?

Very annoying :-(

BTW - The only progress I made is that by only connecting the JTAG connection, not the RS232 connection, before plugging the device to the power is the only way that it finished its boot process.

Eyal
« Last Edit: 24 June 2010, 06:24:14 pm by eyal »
Pages: [1]