New IT forum
27 June 2022, 12:33:27 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: PiHub now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: bootargs and mounting rootfs  (Read 5499 times)

piratebab

bootargs and mounting rootfs
« on: 09 May 2013, 10:34:18 am »

Hello,
I unplug my dreamplug very often (car computer), and I got sometimes problems on the integrity of my sda2 (rootfs) superblocks (ext3). I repair it by booting on usb stick, and using fschk.
I wonder if there is a possibility to use a bootarg to modify the way the sda2 is mounted to make it more robust .
I am using these bootargs from official documentation:
Code: [Select]
commands under the UBoot prompt:
Marvell>>setenv x_bootcmd_kernel fatload usb 0 0x6400000 uImage
Marvell>>setenv x_bootargs_root root=/dev/sda2 rootdelay=10
Marvell>>saveenv

Confusticated

• New IT customer
Re: bootargs and mounting rootfs
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2013, 01:50:13 pm »

How are you shutting down the dreamplug ?
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

piratebab

« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2013, 07:41:42 pm »

switching off the supply.
It is used in a car

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2013, 09:34:50 pm »

switching off the supply
fsck'ing will not recover your lost data.

It is used in a car
Then you need to finish your project by providing a shutdown signal (potentially via one of the GPIO pins) and ensure it is asserted long enough for the dreamplug to fully shutdown before power is removed.

If you are storing your recorded data to a different device (say an external USB flash drive) than which your root filesystem is on (the SDHC) then you could reconfigure your system to use a read only rootfs with the help of flashybrid getting you part way.
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

piratebab

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2013, 08:40:57 am »

file checking saved me every time, it is just a problem of bad superblock, datas are not corrupted.
I dont have a signal from the power supply before shuting down the power.
Most of the data are on sdb, an external SD card, and I dont have this kind of problem with this card (I have added some option in the fstab file to avoid this)
My question is how to pass this kind of option to the kernel, via uboot, when mounting sda2 ?

Pages: [1]