New IT forum
27 June 2022, 11:09:03 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Broken JTag or Bricked DreamPlug  (Read 6802 times)

axel

Broken JTag or Bricked DreamPlug
« on: 31 May 2013, 07:37:40 pm »

Hi Everybody,

while installing software (apt-get) via the UART console. It suddenly stopped working.
I dis- and reconnected the dreamplug from power to reboot. now nothing happens.
The terminal stays black. No Marvell prompt nothing. The device seems not to boot any more.

I checked the logs on the internal SD on another computer:
* /var/log/syslog had a lot of 0-bytes at the end of the file
* after moving this file and rebooting the dreamplug, the syslag is not recreated -> system does not boot

As suggested in http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2677.15 - I tested the JTAG module by connecting it tu the USB-Port only.
The red LED is on, but only TX (yellow) is blinking on key presses, RX (blue) does nothing.

Is the Dreamplug broken, the JTAG or even both?

axel

Re: Broken JTag or Bricked DreamPlug
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2013, 07:45:54 pm »

Additional info: There was a red led inside the dremplug that was constantly on. But now it is not glowing anymore.

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2013, 06:46:22 pm »

Have you tried powering the dreamplug from an alternative PSU ?

EDIT: Scrub that, you imply in your other post that the Dreamplug, JTAG, and OpenOCD are playing
nicely with each other, therefore the odds are against it being a power supply fault.
Use OpenOCD to transfer and run an elf uboot image in the dreamplug's ram.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2013, 06:55:29 pm by Confusticated »
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

axel

« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2013, 06:39:25 am »

Hi Confusticated,

Thanks for the suggestion. Can you give me a hint how to do that. I tried the steps described in the unbricking thread, but the serial port terminal stayes blank even though the processor is doing something. I tried stepping via openocd/JTAG and something is happening on the device. I just don't see anything on the UART console.

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2013, 01:19:00 pm »

This is an old post, so be careful about file versions etc. the technique is still sound though.
https://newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2647.msg7465.html#msg7465
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

axel

« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2013, 04:28:01 pm »

This is an old post, so be careful about file versions etc. the technique is still sound though.
https://newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2647.msg7465.html#msg7465

Hi,

thanks for the hint. I tried to do this, but i don't see anything on the serial port console.
The procesor is definately doing something because stepping through with jtag shows me that it is processing the instructions. Coult it be that just the UART is broken?

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2013, 06:18:32 pm »

just the UART is broken?
Possible, if you have tried everything you can your only recourse is to outsource the repair (NewIT ?).

Pages: [1]