New IT forum
27 June 2022, 11:34:12 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: GertDuino now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bricked Dreamplug & No JTAG  (Read 4172 times)

stupidget

Bricked Dreamplug & No JTAG
« on: 28 October 2013, 01:26:24 pm »

Hi,

I got a Dreamplug last week as we want to use it as an Agent for our Network and Application monitoring solution.

I managed to connect to the Dreamplug over wireless and everything looked to be working OK and then it stopped working.

I have had an email from Global Scale Technologies who told me:

"Some files in the second partition of the internal micro SD card is likely missing or corrupted. A compressed copy of the contents of partition 2, named “rootfs-debian6.0-gti-dream-v12-130221.tar”, can be found here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0imSF-34b8dNmlIYkx6eXRBWGc/edit?usp=sharing. Please note that mounting the second partition and decompressing the file are more easily done on a Linux computer."

I have tried the above but the DP will still not boot.

I have had a trawl through the NewIT forums but I could really do with a Dummies Guide to rebuilding the SD card from scratch.

We dont have a JTAG so I'll have to do everything on a CentOS Vm that I have running.

Any help is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2013, 02:38:57 pm by stupidget »

stupidget

Re: Bricked Dreamplug & No JTAG
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2013, 01:53:46 pm »

Could I just write a new Image to the SD card by doing the following:

dd if=Dream-Wheezy-344-4Gb-24Jul12.img of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1M

I have a Dreamplug with the following model number:

003-DS2001

So will the above image work or not?

Cheers,

Ralph Houston

• New IT customer
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2013, 08:55:35 pm »

Hi there
It certainly should work, but there are number of issues that have been discussed here at length, including:
If the destination partition is even one byte too short, the dd will run off the end (and you'll get a block miscount and a dangerously defective copy).
Have a search on this forum.
There have also been methods discussed on how to open the partitions within the decompressed .img file while still on the hard drive.
Do use your Linux machine to make partition 2 bigger than the image if there is space on the card.
Good luck,
Ralph

stupidget

« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2013, 08:46:46 am »

Hi,

I finally got the DreamPlug up and running  :D

As I'm no Linux guru I was trying to 'copy' the extracted files to Partition 2 rather than actually extracting them directly from the .tar file to the Partition.

Everything is back to normal now.

Thanks for the advice any way Ralph.
Pages: [1]