New IT forum
25 June 2022, 11:27:52 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: MiraBox now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mounting hardware for 2.5" internal disk drive on Open-Rd  (Read 10023 times)

superpat

Mounting hardware for 2.5" internal disk drive on Open-Rd
« on: 02 June 2010, 07:17:55 pm »

Hi,

GlobalScale do not include the mounting hardware to install an internal 2.5" hard drive, I had quite a job finding the information

It appears on a pdf on the openrd  forum files section part number  16-00050-02 page 9 /9

SATA Hard Disk Mounting Accessories

Screw Size 3mm x 10mm   ( M3 x 10mm )  10 mm was a bit too long for my disk drive's threaded holes, so I had to use two washers on the head side of the pcb
Spacer 8mm o.d. & 4mm i.d. & 3mm Height 
Washer Spacer Size 8mm o.d. & 4mm i.d. 0.5mm Height

I purchased the parts from CPC (a commercial division of Farnell but most electronic parts stockists should carry them)

P

guidol

• He know where his Towel is :-)
Re: Mounting hardware for 2.5" internal disk drive on Open-Rd
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2010, 09:09:55 am »

>:( I did also find out das the 2.5 SATA Drive could not be installed directly..and today its
Sunday...
Why isnt there any information that a spacer and extra screws are required?  :(

Now I have to suspend my work on the OpenRD (or try to use a MicroSD the first time)

Will NewIT offer this set on thier page? I couldnt see that part as accessoires....

fd64

« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2010, 12:56:23 pm »

I have recently purchased an OpenRD-Ultimate from NewIT and I can confirm that it's possible to install a 2.5" SATA hard drive internally. No SATA cable is required as the disk directly fits in the connector. You just have to buy a 2.5" SATA disk and screws.

I recommend the following disk:
Western Digital AV-25 WD5000BUDT 500GB 2.5" Hard Drive SATA-II

It's a high-capacity disk (500 GB), and I selected that one for two reasons:
- very energy efficient, so no over-heating
- very silent

It's only 5400rpm, but it's more than enough for embedded devices and it's extremely silent / cool.

guidol

• He know where his Towel is :-)
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2010, 01:53:49 pm »

I have recently purchased an OpenRD-Ultimate from NewIT and I can confirm that it's possible to install a 2.5" SATA hard drive internally. No SATA cable is required as the disk directly fits in the connector. You just have to buy a 2.5" SATA disk and screws.
But without the Spacers you could damage your OpenRD, because the HDD could get connected to the PCB and short the circuit.
And the connector (without the spacers is a bit build to high) so that the HDD could be installed in a even order...
You also need some longer screws than for a normal 2.5" HDD.
So installing a HDD to a OpenRD out of the box is impossible :-(
Pages: [1]