New IT forum
11 August 2022, 05:56:44 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: GertDuino now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dreamplug getting old, what should I replace it with...?  (Read 4235 times)

toyg

Dreamplug getting old, what should I replace it with...?
« on: 03 November 2013, 01:43:55 am »

A long time ago, I bought one of the very first Dreamplugs sold here. It ran quite well as a low-power home NAS for more than two years, with great uptime.

I'm now looking to retire it (it's half-disassembled and on his last leg, really) and replace it with something similar, but I'm curious about whether other plugs might offer something more.

At the moment, my DP is attached to a small RAID1 enclosure, serving nfs, samba shares and acting as backup server for OSX clients through Time Machine. I don't really use wifi. I've thought about exposing it to the big bad internet for a simple vpn service, but didn't get round to do it. I run the occasional long-running web crawler. I like being able to swap OS through SD cards, but I'm crap at uBoot.

I guess I could do this sort of thing with pretty much any plug out there, but I was wondering if anybody could quickly point out the main differences between Dreamplug, Tonido and CuBox and/or suggest which plug would be better suited.

Thanks in advance for any help!

NewIT_Malcolm

• Administrator
Re: Dreamplug getting old, what should I replace it with...?
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2013, 10:20:38 am »

Well the Mirabox is probably your best option but it would mean a switch to USB3 instead of eSata. You also get the benefit of 1Gb Nand and it is ARM V7.
The Cubox would also be suitable if the Dual Ethernet is not a requirement. You get the benefit of HDMI also.
Cubieboard is a nice device the 100M ethernet may not suit your application but it does have Dual Core, 4Gb Nand, HDMI and runs Android 4.
or the Dreamplug is still available of course.

toyg

Re: Dreamplug getting old, what should I replace it with...?
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2013, 05:32:50 pm »

Thanks Malcolm!
I don't want to lose eSATA, and I don't need dual ethernet, so I'll probably get the CuBox… and a new DreamPlug as backup plan ;)

Cheers,
Giacomo
Pages: [1]