New IT forum
27 June 2022, 12:27:34 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: MiraBox now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Plug as PS3 Media Server  (Read 6689 times)

Robert

Plug as PS3 Media Server
« on: 06 June 2010, 04:04:23 pm »

Hi, I'm using my plug as a NAS front-end for a USB Raid-Like storage. Works perfectly. Since all my media lies on the USB storage I would like to use it as a media server for my PS3 as well.

I read about "Media Tomb" as one solution. I'm not sure how it works or if the plug has enough power to support all features.

Has anyone experience with using the plug as media server for the PS3? What kind of solution did you use?

gheeke

Re: Plug as PS3 Media Server
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2010, 08:27:16 pm »

I'm using TwonkyMedia Server (Version 5.1.x) for listing to Music (MP3) and watching my Photos. Small Videos (eg. from Podcasts) are also ok. I didn't try any fancy things like transcoding on the fly. Twonky is a comercial product. They offer a 30 day test version. Downloads can be found here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0/ Look for the "Kirkwood" Version.

Robert

« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2010, 06:51:41 am »

I have setup MediaTomb and it works perfectly: MP3, Photos, Videos no problem.

The only thing is that without playlists the navigation from the PS3 is a bit cumbersome.

andyluton

« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2010, 07:40:34 pm »

I used MediaTomb and NZBGet with some post process scripts - working together it's the perfect media download / serving box.

Would download NZBs from my (android) phone, upload the the NZB to the boxes FTP server in NZBgets NZB directory, and then wait for NZbget to download - once download the postprocess script would par (if needed) and unrar.

Watched media on the PS3 mainly.

Mediatomb would scan for new files every hour or so.

Obviously this is when it (external USB hdd) works!! (see my other thread!)
Pages: [1]