New IT forum
25 June 2022, 10:46:37 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: GertDuino now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Primitive Question  (Read 6534 times)

Rizla

Primitive Question
« on: 22 June 2010, 07:08:33 pm »

Sorry if this is just so primitive a question.
I cant seem to connect to the net using Fedora. The box shows up in my server as 'not connected' Do I have to setup port-forwarding or something?.

I just started this game, I just got a couple of books to-day on Linux and Ubuntu. It will ake a lot of time to get ma head around all this.

By the way the other of the Linux book.Daniel J Barrett
and the one on Ubuntu is Christopher Negus and Francois Caen

superpat

Re: Primitive Question
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2010, 10:05:58 am »

Hi Rizla,

Its not a pretty story!

I am assuming you also have an openrd Ultimate.

The failure of the ethernet ports is documented (about three or four replies down this thread)

http://groups.google.com/group/openrd/browse_frm/thread/a5999626d191f148#

Tanmay, the openrd support person has uploaded some new uboot and kernel binaries.

http://groups.google.com/group/openrd/browse_frm/thread/9fdf3929f1c3f4ed#

It is not clear to me from the forum and the explanations whether this fixes the problems. but they may fix the internet issue.

I decided to cut my losses with the fedora kernel and install a Debian system  (I always use deb linux on my other boxes and my Sheevaplug).

I have been working with Michael Michlmayr the deb guru to get the Debian installer working with the Openrd Ultimate.  As I type this reply my  Openrd Ultimate is installing a Debian RFS and kernel on a sata hard drive installed inside the openrd.  We have one more nug to sort out, to get the installer, at the end of the installation to run flash-kernel to create a Uinitrd to boot with.

When we succeed I will add a post here.

cheers

Patrick
Pages: [1]