New IT forum
22 June 2018, 12:01:36 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: GertDuino now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Guruplug case substitute?  (Read 1510 times)

apemberton

Guruplug case substitute?
« on: 17 January 2014, 11:30:16 am »

My three Guruplugs are still giving sterling service as router/DHCP/DNS servers despite having been fitted with fans, external power supplies, externally powered eSata disks, new RTC batteries and heatsinks. At this time, I do not want to change hardware since very few devices have more than one ethernet port (Mirabox and Dreamplug I guess).

However, with the heat (and this problem is also affecting my sheevaplugs), the moulded cases are crumbling to the extent that bits of plastic are falling off. I have looked at cases in Maplin (mounting the board and holes for I/O are problematic) and I have been trying to get some plasticard styrene sheet to rebuild the cases. But I wonder if anyone has a better solution to a new case? Something that allows adequate ventilation, better mounting, cutouts for cables?

TIA
Tony Pemberton

bigbear59

Re: Guruplug case substitute?
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2014, 11:12:38 pm »

Check out post #35 https://newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,594.msg6158.html#msg6158
This guy put his Guru into an old PC Power Supply Unit, It's got power and air
Cheers,
BigBear59

apemberton

Re: Guruplug case substitute?
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2014, 09:55:58 am »

I see but 3 old PC PSU's are not available to me, they will be a bit big even if the disk drive could be accommodated, I'm not keen on metalwork. Currently, the mod is of the style that confusticated has illustrated except the PSU (a wall wart) is external now. I think the board size and fixing holes follow the same pattern as a Sheevaplug (I will really check first) so I will remove the board from the dead Sheevaplug to act as a template. I wonder if a modded Raspberry Pi case might work, I have a spare case which would hold the Pi and a Piface and more could be obtained. Hmmmm....?

Tony Pemberton
Pages: [1]