New IT forum
27 June 2022, 12:15:58 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Recovery procedure fails (or maybe I don't understand it)  (Read 3679 times)

rsl360

Recovery procedure fails (or maybe I don't understand it)
« on: 23 February 2014, 10:08:01 pm »

So I'm not hosed, I can still get my dreamplug to boot, I can use dd to make new cards, etc..  But why doesn't the factory reset work?  I have the original card in the internal slot.  (I have made some changes to the card, added software, etc..)  It does boot.  But I'd like to make it "clean" and get a dd image of it.  Why?  Because I'm curious and I want to.

After the system boots, I hold the reset button for 10+ seconds.  I get this: " *** You can realize restore functionality yourself!".  (I've read the instructions and this is not what I expected.)  So I reboot the system, but no joy.  I've tried both a reset and a reboot, neither works. 

I have a 10.01 system, with ext2 for the boot sector.

Thanks

Confusticated

• New IT customer
Re: Recovery procedure fails (or maybe I don't understand it)
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2014, 06:18:48 pm »

why doesn't the factory reset work?
Although 'factory reset' was touted in the advertising for the dreamplug, I am not aware it was ever actually implemented.

Why?  Because I'm curious and I want to
One of the best reasons possible in my book.

How it is intended to work....
The reset circuitry of the SoC has a counter associated with it (that times how long the reset button is depressed).
When u-boot runs (in theory, it is not in the mainline code that I have seen, but may well be in Globalscale's port) it could interrogate this counter register and then execute differing previously stored environment commands as appropriate.

This is commonly used in 'factory reset' of Android phones and tablets, where u-boot registering an atypical button press combination, triggers the un-tarring of a backup of the original OS stored in a normally otherwise unused partition (this is a slight oversimplification but I hope you can grasp the concept).

It also goes some way to explain why your typical Android tablet touted as having 4GB of storage only seems to have 2GB for the OS and Applications.

If anyone has evidence that this has been implemented on the Dreamplug please post any information that you have, u-boot version\date string would be particularly useful.
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

rsl360

« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2014, 12:20:54 am »

Huh.... or Wow,  I'm not quite sure what the correct response would be. 

It's so odd, because Globalscale has gone to some effort to document this.  The partition with the restore data is on the sd card.  And the message that I get when I hold the reset button for more that 6 seconds has changed, that is, it's not what is in the instructions.  Which suggests that someone is still looking at it, or thinking about it. 

I'm pretty sure I can just take the files from sda3 and use them to restored the card manually, maybe I'll try that later on. 

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2014, 10:23:28 am »

Please post more, I for one, am very interested in any information you can glean from your Dreamplug.
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!
Pages: [1]