New IT forum
25 June 2022, 04:32:54 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: GertDuino now in stock.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dreamplug freezes after "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting kernel"  (Read 30378 times)

Confusticated

• New IT customer
Re: Dreamplug freezes after "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting kernel"
« Reply #15 on: 13 March 2014, 04:20:18 pm »

"Uncompressing Linux... done,
booting kernel"

The first step when you see this is to establish that the Kernel you are booting matches the version of U-Boot that you are using to boot with.
If not, you may need to override the default 'machine ident' as known by U-Boot ( setenv machid 0x? ? ? ? ).

What version of U-Boot are you using, post the full string, the date is important ( Marvell>version ).
Use a dreamplug image file (for the kernel) from New IT (http://downloadsnewit.co.uk/SD-images/Dreamplug)
« Last Edit: 13 March 2014, 04:26:36 pm by Confusticated »
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

kfrank

« Reply #16 on: 14 March 2014, 01:47:36 pm »

here is the uboot version string:

U-Boot 2011.12 (Mar 11 2012 - 18:50:54)
Marvell-DreamPlug
gcc (Debian 4.6.3-1) 4.6.3
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.22

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #17 on: 14 March 2014, 08:09:46 pm »

If I have my U-boot versions correct that should work OK with
http://downloadsnewit.co.uk/SD-images/Dreamplug/NewIT-Dreamplug-Debian-Wheezy/
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

kfrank

« Reply #18 on: 14 March 2014, 08:13:39 pm »

Thanks... is there a detailed(complete and correct) list of steps I need to take to put it on an SD card... boot from that card and then copy it to the internal SD anywhere on this forum that you would recommend I follow?  Thanks for your help.

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #19 on: 15 March 2014, 07:02:53 pm »

dd if=[source_image] of=[destination]
https://newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2491.msg6953.html#msg6953

boot from that card and then copy it to the internal SD
After booting off the external SD Card, you can repeat the same process again only this time write the image from a USB stick\hdd inserted into the Dreamplug to the internal SD Card.

kfrank

« Reply #20 on: 18 March 2014, 12:35:36 pm »

within uboot with my sd card in the dreamplug I type the following:

"fatload usb 1 0x6400000 NewIt-Dreamplug-Debian-Wheezy-2GB-31Aug11.img"

it responds:
"readingNewIt-Dreamplug-Debian-Wheezy-2GB-31Aug11.img"

there is a long pause and then:

"EHCI timed out on TD - token=0x28008d80"

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #21 on: 20 March 2014, 01:47:13 pm »

Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Yes, you didn't read enough of the thread: https://newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2491.msg6953.html#msg6953
The image file should be written to an SD Card not loaded in U-Boot, how you do that depends on what OS you are running.

kfrank

« Reply #22 on: 22 March 2014, 03:00:00 pm »

Confusticated... thank you for your help. I did actually read the thread(I might not have understood it all) What I did was download the file "NewIT-Dreamplug-Debian-Wheezy-2Gb-31Aug11.img.gz" unzipped it to a 2G FAT 16 formatted partition on my SD card (on a windows 7 machine) which gave me the unzipped file "NewIT-Dreamplug-Debian-Wheezy-2Gb-31Aug11.img" on the card. I then inserted the card into my dreamplug and tried to follow bigbear59's instructions to boot from the SD card (I may have done that on correctly as well) in any case could you instruct me on how to get the dreamplug to boot from the SD card that I have the image file on(external) or tell me how I went wrong in uzipping the file to the SD card. Thank You.

bigbear59

« Reply #23 on: 22 March 2014, 03:50:28 pm »

You want to do similar to:
    https://newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4677.msg11755.html#msg11755

replacing sp_sheeva_401.zip & sp_sheeva_401.img with your zip & img
Cheers,
BigBear59

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #24 on: 23 March 2014, 11:58:21 am »

The image file should be written to an SD Card.......
... how you do that depends on what OS you are running.
What OS (and the version) are you running on your Desktop\Laptop computer - Mac OSX, Linux, or Windows ?

kfrank

« Reply #25 on: 29 March 2014, 05:01:40 pm »

My main workstation is a a Windows 7 64 bit. I am also running virtualbox on my windows box with ubuntu 12.04 installed

kfrank

« Reply #26 on: 30 March 2014, 07:38:40 pm »

Ok I am trying something different to solve my bricked DP. I am going to try and write an image to an (external)SD card insert it into my dreamplug and then try to boot from it. I have downloaded the "Dreamplug-1001-Factory-Debian-Image.img.gz" file. I have extracted that so that I now have "Dreamplug-1001-Factory-Debian-Image.img".  I would like to write this image to my (external) SD card (32GB). I plan on using the following command.
"dd if=Dreamplug-1001-Factory-Debian-Image.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M". "sdb" is my 32GB SD card. Does this card have to be have specific format before I run the "dd" command? Do I need to format the card as Fat or ext2 or 3? I had read that the image will put the needed partitions in place. Also , If I am successful in writing the image to my SD card, what variables in uboot do I need to change in order to to get the dream plug to boot from the SD card?  Thanks in advance for trying to help this Linux illiterate to get his DreamPlug back. 

Ralph Houston

• New IT customer
« Reply #27 on: 31 March 2014, 05:59:14 am »

C'mon, search the forum - this is well covered. What you've done so far looks good.
The important points are:
1. Make sure the number of blocks dd reads & writes are the same
2. Decide if you want multiboot - my DP will boot off internal/external SD or USB (with issues), NewIT's just does either SD
3. The uboot partition is either fat16 or ext3 and the env command needs to match
Good luck
Ralph

kfrank

« Reply #28 on: 01 April 2014, 03:01:11 pm »

Ralph, I'm sure you won't believe this but I have spent quite some time searching the forum... perhaps I posted in the wrong forum I was under the impression that this was Dreamplug for beginners "new to Dreamplug.new to Linux?".  I was able to figure out the general procedure from the posts I found, but it does seem as though the devil is in the details and if you get a small thing wrong then it fails. That is why I was (trying) to be as specific as possible:
1. does my sd card need to be formatted in any specific way before I execute the "dd if=Dreamplug-1001-Factory-Debian-Image.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M"?

I cannot find the exact answer on the forum to that question. I did read on the forum that running the dd command with a newIT image should create the needed partitions on the card so that implies that I do not need to pre-partition the card before running "dd" again no specific answer found for that on the forum. Perhaps the card needs to have a partition table prior to running the "dd" command if so what type would I use?

2. I would like to boot from my sd card provided I can successfully get the image written to it (step 1). I do not necessarily want to always have multi-boot but I figured that doing this one step at a time would be easier. Once I get the Dreamplug to successfully boot from the sd card then I will try step 3 (copying the image on the external sd card to the internal sd card. At that point I would hope to have a working Dreamplug once again.

But since I have yet to fully succeed at step 1 I figured breaking it down into three distinct steps should help.

So I guess for now I am asking for help on step 1 and once I have confirmed I have done that correctly I will move on to the next discreet step.

I ask for your patience and if you find my questions simplistic and/or annoying please do not feel obliged to read them or respond to them. I truly appreciate any response from anyone who would like/choose to help me out(educate me).

Confusticated

• New IT customer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5