New IT forum
26 June 2022, 05:56:07 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: GertDuino now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hummingboard  (Read 4248 times)

Penthux

Hummingboard
« on: 14 September 2014, 11:14:54 am »

Just ordered a Hummingboard-i2eX from New IT this morning. Can't wait to get my hands all over it.  ;D

Has anybody else got a Hummingboard, or have plans to get one? Would be cool to share information and ideas.
Penthux

\0/ "The best school in the world is life
/_\  and the greatest teacher is yourself"

Penthux

Re: Hummingboard
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2014, 01:19:21 pm »

As always, New IT delivered beyond expectations and I have been playing around with the Hummingboard-i2eX for about a day. My backstory is that I've been heavily involved in testing and developing on the Raspberry Pi for the past 2 years approx. So, with the i.MX6 1GHz dual core CPU and 1GB DDR3 (1066MHz) RAM, the i2eX performs like greased lightening in comparison to the Raspi, and there'd be something wrong if it didn't. Right?  ;D

Even though it's more than twice the price of a Raspberry Pi, I'm very impressed with the Hummingboard-i2eX and the price-power-performance value is worth every penny. I can see great things ahead for this device.

Thanks again New IT! You're no.1 in my book.  8)
Penthux

apemberton

« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2014, 04:26:13 pm »

I also have an HB i2ex. Initial setup was fine but as usual, I wanted to poke around with it. The initial kernel was quite old but I now have 3.14.14 running. I will at some point, need to install a mSata SSD for capacity and speed. However, I don't think it will all fit in a standard RPi case with that big red heatsink! At present, I have no serious work for it but that will probably change as I outstrip the capability of the RPi's around my network.

NewIT were quick and responsive delivering the HB and a Cubox-i once supplies had been obtained from Solid-run.
Tony Pemberton

Penthux

« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2014, 11:19:32 pm »

I know what you mean about the heatsink, and it gets quite hot under operation. I'm a bit miffed because all the raspberry pi cases I have will not house the Hummingboard-i2eX comfortably - it's the mSATA connector that's stopping the board from sitting the same as a raspi board would. Perhaps some custom cases might be in order, especially for this version with the mSATA port underneath. What do you think?

At the moment I'm running the stock Debian Jessie image on my i2eX. I'm trying to update the kernel to 3.14.14 but every time I go through the process it fails. It boots but only to a black screen. I'll keep on trying to figure it out. Which operating system are you running and which method did you use to update the kernel?
Penthux

apemberton

« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2014, 10:02:53 am »

I havn't done anything useful with my hummingboard yet apart from using it for copying other HDD's for older cubox's. I don't use the HDMI interface and just ssh into it. I havn't got vncserver to operate either. A bit of a back burner and experimental item for me.

I think I compiled the linaro kernel and the drvice tree modules in accordance with the https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Cubox-i page. It is 3.14.14+. I did not have success with the xilka kernels and I think that the one i tried didn't have the galcore graphics built in.

I will soon concentrate on the Cubox-i as I do need that for my network management system which is a heavily overloaded sheevaplug at present.
Tony Pemberton
Pages: [1]