New IT forum
27 June 2022, 12:36:22 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Help! Whats the best way to get a new image on the internal SD without JTAG?  (Read 3286 times)

pysche

Hi, newbie here, I bought one of these off ebay with no instructions, Model: 003-DS2001 / 0801 0101A the wifi worked at first to SSH in to it, but it had an old image on there, (Linux sheevaplug-debian 2.6.33.6 #1 PREEMPT Tue Feb 8 03:18:41 EST 2011 armv5tel GNU/Linux) thus creating some headaches...

First issue was the nameserver was wrong so I used googles instead as below which fixed that!

Changed /etc/resolv.conf to:

Code: [Select]
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

Next issue was it was impossible to try using the below commands and update the o/s as the sources.list was wrong so changed them to below which also fixed that issue!

apt-get update
 apt-get dist-upgrade
 apt-get autoremove
 apt-get autoclean

Changed to  /etc/apt/sources.list to:

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main non-free contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main non-free contrib

And basically updated it from lenny to squeeze using apt-get dist-upgrade and apt-get upgrade after the above which was fine until I removed a package gnupg? which I was told it was something that autostarts the Ethernet etc thinking it would fix a problem with the router its plugged into which now because of removing that one package it dosent start the wifi in the dreamplug so cannot longer ssh into it..

The main issue is there must of been a conflict with the router dhcp addresses only being in range from 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253 where the router IP gateway itself is set at 192.168.1.254. And the dreamplug is 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.255 which is out of the scope of the router. So this never got solved, has anyone else come across this issue?

So I have f*cked it and bricked it as it no longer factory resets as it should which should bring back the original settings(it dosent). I have damn small Linux on a bootable USB, is it possible to use that to install squeeze again onto another internal card to replace the bricked one?

The idea behind the purchase was for me to get apache, php, MySQL, phpmyadmin, webmin and run my personal website from home.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2014, 03:14:33 pm by pysche »

pysche

I finally got it up and running again after bricking it, once I got my head around the learning curve, it was hard at first due to the issues I was having, as the only image that worked was the gui plug 2.6 image for 801 base, but after much cursing, I figured out it was the first partion needed to be ext2 rather than fat16 to boot and luckily this image is set as DHCP, although no wifi I could see the dreamplug within the routers admin control panel. #

The reason I ended up bricking it was because the lenny image that came with it was out of the ip range of the router setup and was set as static ips, one for the wifi and gateway.

After all that it easy, I've got webmin up and running at the moment doing exactly what I bought this thing for, I did write step by step instructions but lost them all due to the form clearing after accidently pressing back on the browser whilst typing!

Pages: [1]