New IT forum
13 August 2022, 01:05:30 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't reach Plug over Router  (Read 17137 times)

Tobi_2006

Can't reach Plug over Router
« on: 27 September 2010, 08:32:34 pm »

Hello everyone,

I have received my GP today and started playing around with it. I can access it via the wireless, but when I plug the ethernet cable from my router in I can't access the internet ("ping google.com" over ssh does not give any answers). I also cannot connect via ssh (or ping) to my GP when I am connected to my router, although it shows up in the list of connected devices.

Before I tried this I changed the hostname in /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname and changed the DHCP name in /etc/dhcp3/dhcpclient.conf, and rebooted.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks,
Tobi

Brandt

Re: Can't reach Plug over Router
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2010, 08:59:18 pm »

We need to see some logs. Set ssh to verbose level 3:

ssh -vvv [email protected]

Also check the logs in /var/logs/ ...

Tobi_2006

« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2010, 09:07:56 pm »

ssh on verbose level 3 does not give that much information either:

Code: [Select]
$ ssh -vvv apu
OpenSSH_5.3p1 Debian-3ubuntu4, OpenSSL 0.9.8k 25 Mar 2009
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to apu [192.168.1.103] port 22.
debug1: connect to address 192.168.1.103 port 22: Connection timed out
ssh: connect to host apu port 22: Connection timed out

This is what my router says about the plug:

Code: [Select]
Information
Type: Generic Device
Connected To: ethport3 (Ethernet)

Addressing
Physical Address: xx:xx:xx:xx
IP Address Assignment: DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.1.103
Always use the same IP address: No
DHCP Lease Time: 0 days, 22:45:51

Are there any log files in particular that might be helpful here?

Tobi_2006

« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2010, 09:09:54 pm »

I also have to say that when I tested the plug today at work I could connect to the internet without any problems.

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2010, 10:49:30 pm »

Try disabling the WiFi (via the wifi web interface), and then see if you can ping the plug.
With the wifi active and on the same network as the plugs eth0 the routing gets messed up and the plug sends the replies out over the wifi instead of out the ethernet port.

Alternately if you have the JTAG plugged in and a serial console, just run "route -n", if you see two identical routes with uap0 listed first, then this is your problem.

If this works for you, (ssh into the plug and) simply change the wifi network (eg. edit init_setup.sh, change "ifconfig uap0 192.168.1.1 up" to "ifconfig uap0 192.168.2.1 up") and reboot.
You will need to also change the IP address in '/etc/udhcpd.conf' and '/etc/default/dnsmasq' if you want to continue to use it as an access point.

Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

Tobi_2006

« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2010, 08:01:05 am »

Great - switching it from Wireless Router mode to the client mode did the trick. Now I can happily SSH into it over my router.
Thank you very much!
Tobi

Brandt

« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2010, 03:38:51 pm »

What about just disabling the wifi interface on the GP?

/etc/network/interfaces

for example:

#auto wlan0
#wlan0 inet dhcp

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2010, 07:20:33 pm »

What about "What about just disabling the wifi interface on the GP?" ?
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

Tobi_2006

« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2010, 07:48:58 pm »

Hello everyone,

somehow the problem keeps reappearing on a regular basis. The server simply disappears from the network at some point, sometimes after days, sometimes after a few hours. Usually pulling the plug and turning it back on seems to do the trick, plus logging in and enabling the client mode instead of the AP mode.

Is there anything I could do to avoid these disconnects? My /etc/network/interfaces only has the lines "auto lo" and "iface lo inet loopback", so no "auto wlan0" I could comment out.

Is there a way to turn the wireless functionality off? I am not using the plug as a client nor as an access point anyway, it is always connected via Ethernet.

Thanks for your help,
Tobi

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2010, 09:40:20 pm »

Sounds like your plug is rebooting, make a note of the uptime "cat /proc/uptime"
or run "top" for a human friendly form.

Read the "If this works for you" section above
http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,579.msg2825.html#msg2825

Or to disable the WiFi AP on bootup completely
Edit /etc/rc.local and comment out the "/root/init_setup.sh" line as I have below

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

mount -a
mkdir -p /var/cache/apt/archives/partial

#/root/init_setup.sh

Tobi_2006

« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2010, 07:26:58 am »

Hello again, Confusticated,

thank you for all your help!
However, after starting it up again yesterday evening, the Guruplug was gone this morning, and now, after a hard reset it is back in the network.
I did comment init_setup.sh out of the rc.local, and the rooter does not start the AP mode anymore, but it didn't seem to solve my disappearence problem.
I don't think the plug restarted during the night - after I forcefully restarted it the plug is pingable, this morning it was not.

Tobi_2006

« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2010, 06:18:20 pm »

Could it be a problem with my router? Are there any settings I should make different from standard router settings?

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2010, 09:48:55 pm »

Hmm, is it possibly related to what is going on here ?

http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,455.0.html

Tobi_2006

« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2010, 07:15:52 am »

Not sure. Is there any way I could check the log files from last session and get a clue what could have gone wrong? All I know at the moment is that it's simply not on the network anymore after a few hours, the lights on the plug are still on.

The plug is usually warm, but not really hot either. I will try leaving it on for the day without using rtorrent, as that has been suggested as the source of the problem by some there.

I don't think it has much to do with the sleep state either - I had it leaving the network while I was watching something streamed via Samba, while it was downloading via rtorrent and while simply nothing was going on.

Tobi_2006

« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2010, 08:28:41 am »

Hello again,
I wrote a cronjob that wrote the uptime in a file every 5 minutes. From that I could see that the guruplug is still up and running while it already disappeared from the router. It seems that the disappearence is definitely a network problem, and probably not related to overheating or anything like that (I assume if the plug overheats it shuts down rather than just turning the network interfaces off).
Pages: [1] 2