New IT forum
12 August 2022, 02:25:31 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: GertDuino now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: MMC performance  (Read 3384 times)

ayshf_m

MMC performance
« on: 29 September 2010, 08:25:04 pm »

Is royally bad!

Having faffed about with the mmc card reformatted it to ext2 mount it with no atime, I found out that it's because the automounter puts on sync, which seems to have a very bad effect on write performance.

However I like the usb automount feature so didn't want to just disable it.

So I decided to mount the filesystem manually and because it was formatted using ext2 I stopped the usb automounter mounting ext2 filesystems.  You can do this in /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf I simply took ext2 out of the filesystem list.

This sorts out the performance.

Sync turns off write caching as far as I can see which makes this a mildly dangerous thing, you can after all simply unplug the mmc.  However since I don't intend to I'll take the risk.

ayshf_m

Re: MMC performance
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2010, 10:07:21 pm »

Also, it worth taking care when you insert a card in, one of mine has a poorly fitting seal and it transpired it was possible to insert the card into the plug!

Was forced to dismantle the plug to get it out, (goodbye guarantee), still wasn't convinced there was much of that anyway!  30 days, what a larf.   I must admit I viewed this as saying...

"This will break very quickly!"
Pages: [1]