New IT forum
11 August 2022, 05:26:16 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: MiraBox now in stock.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My GuruPlug is not a hairdryer....  (Read 40168 times)

Confusticated

• New IT customer
My GuruPlug is not a hairdryer....
« on: 04 October 2010, 06:25:30 pm »

Not any more, it still has a fan, and is still audible, but I am not finished with it yet.
The sound level is similar to your average fixed disk, and the plug is now running
even cooler than when I received it (which is hardly surprising).
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

SRG

Re: My GuruPlug is not a hairdryer....
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2010, 08:34:34 pm »

So, what is the modification you applied ?
You removed the PSU to make it external ?
Put a heatsink on the CPU, and a bigger fan on the top ?

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2010, 09:20:03 pm »

Don't ask, I will not give a detailed description until 'I' decide to.
I am a Darwinian (I believe in evolution) if you clone what I have done, nobody gains.
Use the brain cells God gave you (see line above :>), and D E V E L O P!
Take other's ideas and improve them, make them your own, evolve the Plug.
The best developed Plug will out-survive all other Plugs, mine included.
That will be the quietest and coolest (pun intended).
Advocatus Diaboli - My agenda is not to give you the answer, but to guide your thoughts so you derive it for yourself!

sfzhi

« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2010, 08:13:25 am »

Take other's ideas and improve them.
You are giving this nice piece of advice while refusing to tell anything about your ideas. Sounds a bit hypocritical to me.

PacoLM

« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2010, 09:02:29 am »

Hi,

I also believe in evolution, but this sometimes does not happen without share knowledge and cooperation....

I believe changing the ball bearing fan to a sleeve bearing fan will reduce the noise (as he wrote in his post http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,575.msg2824.html#msg2824). I still didn't received mine, but I will do the modification if the noise is really high. Also I believe there is some space to put some circuitry to control the speed of the fan depending on the temperature inside (more air flow needed). Will post advances...

Hope it helps,

Paco

Edited after reading previous Confusticated post: http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,575.msg2824.html#msg2824
« Last Edit: 05 October 2010, 09:04:35 am by PacoLM »

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #5 on: 05 October 2010, 03:58:39 pm »

sfzhi, seek and ye shall find.....

sfzhi

« Reply #6 on: 05 October 2010, 04:09:20 pm »

sfzhi, seek and ye shall find.....
I don't need to. I have found my solution long ago. I was just trying to put a word for those who haven't...

mabuhay

• myownhomeserver.ch
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2010, 01:23:44 pm »

I am a Darwinian (I believe in evolution) if you clone what I have done, nobody gains.

So why exactly did you start this post? Just for telling everyone you modified it? good to know, but not so helpful
If none would share new ideas, everyone has to do the same thing again and again. If you share, it can be improved and new ideas can develop from it
That's why we go to school to learn things which someone figured out already, so we don't have to start from the very beginning ;)
but then you say "Take other's ideas and improve them"... so I will come back later when I get my GuruPlg back to see if your idea is interesting for me :)

mfg
My low-power homeserver with the GuruPlug Server Plus: www.myownhomeserver.ch

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2010, 05:05:32 pm »

You have misread what has already been posted in this thread, let alone what has already been posted on the web.
You will only get out of it what you put in. Did you go to school to learn or to be taught ?

SRG

« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2010, 07:38:24 pm »

Use the brain cells God gave you (see line above :>), and D E V E L O P!
Take other's ideas and improve them, make them your own, evolve the Plug.
The best developed Plug will out-survive all other Plugs, mine included.
That will be the quietest and coolest (pun intended).

Weirdest thread i've seen for ages. Have fun with your guru plug and your very private ideas.

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #10 on: 08 October 2010, 03:42:45 pm »

Thanks, I'm achieving my aim then. My ideas might be private, but facts...
here are some that may already be published, but I couldn't find them anywhere.

Guruplug Server Plus U-SNAP\GPIO mapping pinout information.
With the Guruplug Server Plus standing on end (and the logo text the correct way up) pin 1
is nearest the bottom (making pin 10 nearest the top, the opposite of the listing below).

pin  GPIO#
 1      39
 2      43
 3      40
 4      41
 5      42
 6       -     RESET
 7       -     3v3
 8       -     GND
 9       -     NC
10    38

Pin 9 was probably meant to be a KEY, just block the hole off and it becomes one :>)
E&OE
« Last Edit: 08 October 2010, 03:53:08 pm by Confusticated »

nickeb72

« Reply #11 on: 08 October 2010, 07:49:51 pm »

Is it possible that you manage to set the rpm of the fan from software?

Sounds nice :-)

Confusticated

• New IT customer
« Reply #12 on: 09 October 2010, 12:02:01 pm »

It would be fairly easy to use a number of the GPIO pins to form a passive D to A converter.
You may need a buffer transistor for a little level shifting\cuurent handling capability.
Two GPIO pins would give you four levels OFF, SLOW, MEDIUM, FAST. That would probably be
sufficient for controlling any cooling fan. There is plenty about passive D to A's on the web.......

kleptog

Measuring temperature
« Reply #13 on: 09 October 2010, 03:51:46 pm »

I'm still looking at things I might change to reduce the noise. However, to know whether what I'm doing is sensible I need some way of measuring the temperature of the device. How are other people doing it?

I saw someone was playing with a one-wire temperature sensor but that sounds pretty advanced. An infra-red camera is not something I have lying around.

Can you just let it run and will it reset when it gets too warm, or can you actually break it that way?

Thanks in advance,

kleptog

« Reply #14 on: 10 October 2010, 08:18:34 pm »

Maybe interesting:

http://bzed.de/posts/2010/09/refactoring_the_guruplug_server_plus/

Here someone has attached heat sinks to most of the chips on the board, for the the memory, the PHY (whatever that is) and the CPU. Along with some holes in the case that seems to have done the trick.

Anyone know if you can use those meat thermometers to measure temperatures of chips? I'm new to this hardhacking thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3