New IT forum
27 June 2022, 06:45:59 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: GertDuino now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: IONICS plugcomputers  (Read 16517 times)

amx

IONICS plugcomputers
« on: 06 October 2010, 05:12:55 pm »

Hi,

as I'm interested in getting a plug computer, I'm also browsing different types.
I ran across the Ionics Cirrus plugcomputer http://www.ionicsplug.com/cirrus.html, one with better specs than the Sheevaplug, among others a CPU of 2.0 GHz and a built-in HDD
Is there any chance New IT will be shipping these plugcomputers? Afaik they're built by Ionics, but use the exact same technology Marvell uses.
So New IT, what's the chance of me ordering one of these through you?

NewIT_Jason

• New IT Technical Staff
  • Administrator
Re: IONICS plugcomputers
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2010, 07:58:24 pm »

This is going to be Ionics version of the plugcompuer 3.0, it is not for sale at the moment.

We will stock the new version of plugcomputer 3.0 once they are n production, estimates for this is around February 2011.  At that time we will be considering all three manufacturers versions of these exciting new models.

amx

« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2010, 09:18:29 pm »

superb, just what I wanted to hear,   :D thanks for the quick reply,
shame that I'll have to wait until 2011, but this is good news nontheless.
incidentally, you do also ship to the Netherlands?

rmwebs

« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2011, 11:18:29 pm »

I assume you will stock the IONICS branded one? I only ask as I'm sure you'll agree - relying solely on GlobalScale is a little...risky given the heat issues. Ionics seem to be backed by a much larger company who seems a lot more in control of things.

rmwebs

« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2011, 05:17:20 pm »

As people in the industry, have you heard anymore on the above mentioned Feb 2011 prediction date? Would LOVE to hear any insight as to when we can all expect plug 3.0 :)

NewIT_Jason

• New IT Technical Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2011, 08:55:24 am »

Last time I spoke to GST they had not got any plans for manufacturing the Plug Computer 3.0, so I would be very surprised if any manufacturer would give any kind of release date.  If I had to guess, I would say that the CPU from Marvell is either not fully ready or the price is not viable at this time, but like I say just a guess...

rmwebs

« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2011, 08:45:23 pm »

Aww thats a shame...ahh well - I'm sure we'll get it eventually. I've been following Apples development of the ARM Cortex. It would be pretty sweet if they could get in with Marvel. They are using the Cortex-A8 a lot and wouldn't be surprised to see them start using something a bit more than a 1.2ghz clock soon enough. Maybe even dual core!

It's a real shame that Marvell doesn't seem to have the market power to push stuff like the sheeva development a bit more, but I suppose its still early days :)

Please do keep us updated if you hear anything!

weltall

« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2011, 07:57:43 am »

yet it would be nice if newit could stock boards like beagleboard or pandaboard which are difficult to obtain.

rmwebs

« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2011, 09:22:10 am »

yet it would be nice if newit could stock boards like beagleboard or pandaboard which are difficult to obtain.

PandaBoards would be awesome. I hate to say it, but the Sheeva (and all repackaged varients) just seem so ancient in comparison! Dual-Core 1Ghz Cortex, 1GB RAM, upto 32GB SD, WLAN, Bluetooth, 1080p Video!

I would have thought it would be in NewIT's interest to look into getting some and maybe even having your own plastic case built for them! PandaBoard seems way more suitable as a plug computer tan the Sheeva now  ;D

(FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PandaBoard)

sfzhi

« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2011, 10:42:40 am »

PandaBoards would be awesome. I hate to say it, but the Sheeva (and all repackaged varients) just seem so ancient in comparison! Dual-Core 1Ghz Cortex, 1GB RAM, upto 32GB SD, WLAN, Bluetooth, 1080p Video!
It's all great, but it only has 100 Mbit Ethernet. That is really ancient.

rmwebs

« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2011, 04:13:17 pm »

It's all great, but it only has 100 Mbit Ethernet. That is really ancient.

Very true. I have to say tho, for my personal use (light media server & web server) I'd rather have the 1GB RAM over a gigabit eth port. At the end of the day, you could add a gigabit network adaptor over USB.

peter a

« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2011, 05:09:52 pm »

That`s like saying , if it not got Esata you can use usb.

Built in and via usb is not the same.

weltall

« Reply #12 on: 26 February 2011, 08:25:44 am »

well you don't get a full gbit capability with the guruplug either: you end up with the cpu bottleneck.
but surely esata and gigabit are the things missing on those boards. but you don't have them on the normal sheevaplug either and 2 hdmi output, a powerVR chip and other things are well worth it and of more importance than those for some uses.
also there are boards with sata in case other parts are of less importance (see hawkboard).

these aren't normal computer so none of these (including marvel based boards) are ok for every possible use. (for example a big issue which is hitting me is the lack of proper atomic ops on the armv5 architecture). That's why a wider selection would be really nice.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2011, 08:35:44 am by weltall »
Pages: [1]