New IT forum
22 June 2018, 12:02:11 am *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: PiHub now in stock.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Flashing U-Boot on Bricked Plug  (Read 22716 times)

jolann6973

Re: Flashing U-Boot on Bricked Plug
« Reply #15 on: 20 August 2012, 12:13:09 pm »

Hi guys,

I have been fighting with my guruplug the last days, and even by trying all I can find out on the forum, I can not get it back to life, that's why I am asking for help here.

emmanuelle@emmanuelle-portable:~/Téléchargements/guruplug-installer$ sudo ./runme.sh openocd/uboot.bin
cp: «openocd/uboot.bin» et «openocd/uboot.bin» identifient le même fichier
 ****     Preparing environment variables file ...
 ****   Burning uboot and environment variables ... This will take few minutes ...
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.2.0-in-development (2009-05-17-10:32) svn:1800M

BUGS? Read http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/openocd/trunk/BUGS

$URL: http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/openocd/trunk/src/openocd.c $
250 kHz
dcc downloads are enabled
Info : JTAG tap: feroceon.cpu tap/device found: 0x20a023d3 (Manufacturer: 0x1e9, Part: 0x0a02, Version: 0x2)
Info : JTAG Tap/device matched
Error: unknown EmbeddedICE version (comms ctrl: 0x00000018)
Warn : no telnet port specified, using default port 4444
Warn : no gdb port specified, using default port 3333
Warn : no tcl port specified, using default port 6666
Error: timed out while waiting for target halted
Runtime error, file "./openocd/./board/guruplug.cfg", line 24:

****   openocd FAILED
 ****   Is the mini USB cable connected?
 ****   Try powering down, then replugging the Sheevaplug

This is all I get when I keep my reset button pressed until the script starts. I also tryed the "run.sh" script that is supposed to help if we have hardware problems, I holded my guruplug in many position but I don't have any differences ...

What happened before I bricked it is, I installed the upgrade pro kit (the little fan) and I tryed to flash uboot specified here :

http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=402

Any help would be appreciated ...

Thanks

Jolann

jolann6973

« Reply #16 on: 20 August 2012, 12:23:03 pm »

Hi again,

Just a small precision, I also trie ./kwuartboot /dev/ttyUSB0, it does not work neither (Sending boot pattern: power on or reset now...timeout)

But I noticed something : the Rx blue led is blinking as long as the plug power is not plugged in, or as long as UART cable is not plugged in neither. Maybe this can help to detect any hardware / configuration problem ?

Thanks again,

Jolann

apemberton

« Reply #17 on: 20 August 2012, 05:08:31 pm »

I have had a similar issue with the Guruplug JTAG serial port (albeit NOT attached to a Guruplug but another serial port) in that the blue RX LED flashes rapidly while the target machine is powered off. If PuTTY is active, random odd characters may be decoded and sometimes causes PuTTY to fail.

Thinking about it, I believe the problem is caused by ground loops between the target system and the PuTTY host (in my case a PC). 3.3V difference is easily possible (there is negligeable current draw by the interfaces) between the ground levels on different systems particularly with two wire PSU's. Therefore I connected a jumper (croc clips at both ends) between the chassis of the PC and the ground line of the target machine which cured the problem. However I accept this is not possible with the JTAG unit attached to a Guruplug without damaging the cable.

Tony Pemberton

jolann6973

« Reply #18 on: 21 August 2012, 06:38:42 am »

Thanks for your fast reply apemberton!

I tried to do the same procedure with the laptop unplugged from the power line (thinking it should remove any ground loop), but no success.

When you say
Therefore I connected a jumper (croc clips at both ends) between the chassis of the PC and the ground line of the target machine which cured the problem. However I accept this is not possible with the JTAG unit attached to a Guruplug without damaging the cable.

What do you mean ? Did you open the JTAG cable ? Where did you connect the cross ?  If you can send me a picture, that would be really nice :)

If anyone has another idea ... I don't know what the UART cable is made for ? This is a possibility that it's only the cables of the jtag unit that are damaged, but I am afraid to open them (connector are so small, not sure I can "re-make" them).

Thanks

apemberton

« Reply #19 on: 21 August 2012, 07:36:55 am »

What do you mean ? Did you open the JTAG cable ? Where did you connect the cross ?  If you can send me a picture, that would be really nice :)

I can't send a picture I'm afraid.

As I implied, I was using the Globalscale JTAG unit for serial port access to a non-Globalscale machine. I simply plugged suitable pins into one end of the serial cable (1.25mm pitch connector) with the other end plugged into the Jtag adaptor. I did not damage the cable though I have spares on order so I can create a more permanent arrangement. Only three wires were necesssary - ground, Tx, Rx - as it was not a good idea to connect the Vcc supplies together.

As I said, such an arrangement is not possible with a Guruplug without access to ground. That said, I have never experienced your problem when using the serial port of my Guruplugs. I usually use a netbook with external PSU or on battery though I have also used a standard PC in the past. I don't think I have needed to use the JTAG function on my Guruplugs as I have never bricked Guruplug u-boot.

If you have a sensitive voltmeter and are willing (warranties voided, risk of short circuits, etc.) to open the Guruplug ground and the PC chassis, you could check to see if there is a ground loop problem.

Thinking about the issue, I'm wondering if a high value resistor connected as pull-down might help?
Tony Pemberton

jolann6973

« Reply #20 on: 23 August 2012, 07:25:02 am »

Hi,
Still no luck with flashing the Guru lately :( I feel like it is dead. Maybe I can send it to you and you can try flash it with your cable ? Where do you live (I am from France)?

I think my cable is dead, but I'm not sure. Do you think I can get just the cables (not the jtag unit) somewhere ?
I am really close to replace my guru with a beaglebone (I think these board with OS stored on SD card are easier to update than flashing right into the nand). What do you think ?

NewIT_Malcolm

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 24 August 2012, 08:24:57 am »

Using Openocd on the Gurus can be a very hit and miss process(mostly miss).

Try this method to get you back into uboot on your bricked plug.

http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2835.0.html

jolann6973

« Reply #22 on: 24 August 2012, 08:42:40 am »

Thank you Malcolm,

But I already tried it. I got stuck at the point
"If you are using a jtag and getting errors at this point replug or even swap jtag cables and retry."
I got errors, I tried to swap jtag cables, I tried many times with no luck.

What do you think ?
Pages: 1 [2]