New IT forum
10 August 2022, 11:29:26 pm *
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Guiplug and Ubuntu  (Read 5429 times)

sjse

Guiplug and Ubuntu
« on: 17 January 2011, 04:03:25 pm »

Hi,

I just bought a eSata Guiplug, which is working fine with the mimo display. I also have an eSata Sheevaplug bought about 6 months ago, which is running Ubuntu and working as a webcam server. I was hoping I could simply take the SD card from that and it would just work with the new plug, albeit without the display, but it doesn't seem to boot. Connecting a serial lead I can see it gets as far as uncompressing and booting the kernel, then nothing. Is this a processor revision issue - I think my original plug is an A0 and the new one is A1 - or is there more to it than that?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

NewITMalcolm

• Administrator
Re: Guiplug and Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2011, 04:32:23 pm »

Hi sjse,

The newer plug has a newer kernel on the Nand (2.6.34.6) which checks the arcNumber value in uboot and requires it to be 2678 for eSata to work properly. Change the arcNumber back to 2097 and your SD card should boot but I Don't think it will have eSata capability.

NewIT Technical

NewITJames

sjse

« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2011, 04:51:16 pm »

Thanks for the quick response. Changing tack slightly then, is there an Ubuntu image in the downloads section that will work with the newer kernel? Ideally I want my 2 plugs to be interchangeable as far as possible, and since I did the webcam development work in Ubuntu, I'd rather not switch everything to Debian unless there's no alternative.

Stu

NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2011, 06:08:20 pm »

All recent sheeva.with-linux.com kernels should work on eSATA plugs when arcNumber is set to 2678. (Or our kernel is here)

You can easily copy a new kernel to an SD card - simply mount the SD card and copy the kernel to uImage on the first partition of the SD card.

To change the NAND kernel, use the sheeva.with-linux.com README scripts or manually (after having downloaded the kernel):

Code: [Select]
flash_eraseall -j /dev/mtd1
nandwrite -pm /dev/mtd1 kernel-filename

(replacing kernel-filename with the name of the kernel uImage that you downloaded).

And you should also decompress the kernel modules, for example with:

Code: [Select]
tar x -C / --overwrite -zf sheeva-2.6.32.7-Modules.tar.gz
Pages: [1]